Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tandoori cooking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tandoori cooking

I'm sure most of us don't have a Tandoor, but has anyone ever tried the method Alton Brown came up with on his Good Eats show? He used a terra cotta pot.

Hmmm... I have neither tried Brown's method nor do I have my own. However... I feel like I have a new weekend project because I love tandoori chicken.

Comment

I've not tried it but thought often of building one. There are multiple build threads on the net involving flower pots. They don't look too bad.

Comment

I haven't found a link to the entire episode online, I remember watching it years ago. As I recall he had a specific procedure he used to get the pot as hot as your typical tandoor. Something like half a chimney, wait 15, another half a chimney, blah blah. I remember him using an infrared thermometer to check the temps. I'm sketchy on the details, but you know how thorough he is, so if you find the entire episode I'm pretty sure he didn't leave anything out.

Comment

I've seen it done several times here in Sweden, by bbq afficionados wanting to try a new thing. They put two clay pots together, one upside down (of course), so the whole 'oven' is slightly thicker in the middle. I can't remember what they used for filling material, but the ovens were dead cheap to make and worked exceptionally well.

Comment

I believe this is the episode you're talking about? You click the play button on the picture of the rib roast and the episode plays.

Comment

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              Welcome!

• FireMan
              FireMan commented
              Editing a comment
              Ditto welcome!

• JCGrill
              JCGrill commented
              Editing a comment
              Welcome! And no, this is not it, it's the one MBMorgan mentioned, but no matter.

The AB home-made tandoor expisode you're looking for is Good Eats Season 13, Episode 16 ("The Curious Case of Curry"). If found it on Hulu but haven't located a free version to stream. If I stumble across it, I'll post the URL here.

Comment

isn't two clay pots buckled together just a BGE?

Comment

• Stevo
                Stevo commented
                Editing a comment
                (but _much_ cheaper)

• EdF
                EdF commented
                Editing a comment
                Lol!

Found this on making a DIY tandoor oven (a bit more elaborate than AB's ... but basically the same principle): http://icreatived.com/2015/08/make-a...oor-oven.html/

Comment

... and here's another (with detailed instructions) from Jamie Oliver: http://www.jamieoliver.com/jimmytandoori/to.pdf

Just google "DIY tandoor oven" for lots of results.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here