Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Home made Liquid Smoke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home made Liquid Smoke

I was watching a cooking/ eating show tonight and they were at a BBQ restaurant and the owned said they made their own liquid smoke. After finding a few random things on the internet, I am thinking about trying to make liquid smoke still using my smoke generator just to see how it work. Has anyone tried to do anything like this?
    My plan was to use the forced air/ smoke through a "worm" in a bucket of ice water to condense the smoke. Not sure how much moisture would be in the pellets or wood chips and if it would be worth the trouble.
    One technique I ran across was to put a block of ice in the smoker and the smoke would condense on it. It seems that would be watered down. Another method was to use a bunt pan on the exhaust with a SS bowl with ice on it. I usually hold my hand over the stack on my smoker a few times during the cook to check the moisture of the smoke to get a feel for how the burn is going. A water pan makes a big difference on that and may be the most productive approach

Never tried it. But funny thing, I was talking to my high-school aged son about how it was made just yesterday as we were working on learning to make our own beef jerky on the smoker. Let us know if you try anything!

Comment

Alton brown does this, I think on his serious eats. Ask the Google overlord.

Comment

I use th' water from my smoker's water pan, drippin's an' all...(fat is flavour!)
        Reduce it at a low simmer, taste-test it..
        Ya' can then cool it in th fridge, skim off th' fat. Warm it up, pour through some cheesecloth, or a coffee maker filter, if ya wanna remove sediments.
        It often takes water from several cooks to make any sizeable amount...
        Were I to build me a distillation device, why, it'd be for some more enjoyable pursuit other than liquid smoke!

Comment

• MBMorgan
          MBMorgan commented
          Editing a comment
          The KISS principle at its tasty best ... nice!

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here