Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Freezing smoked meat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freezing smoked meat

Has anyone had any success freezing meat after it has been smoked?

It is just the wife and I and we have been testing out different rubs, meats, etc. with our new PBC. As it is the 2 of us and most briskets, legs of lamb, butts, shoulders or whatever come in 4-5 lb+ sizes we find the novelty of a new recipe starts to wear off with the 5th straight day of the same thing.
    So I thought that the next time I do a brisket that I can slice off enough for a few days then portion off the rest and freeze it for the future.

We have a vacuum sealer and 2 large freezers so packing stuff up after it is cooked is not an issue.

Have people tried freezing the different meats/cuts and how have the defrosted results turned out?

thanks

Do it all the time. Prefer to vacuum pack cause it allows me to hold it longer frozen. Can easily just thaw and microwave, but a sous vide thaw/reheat is better. If you have any reserved juices be sure to add that to package when freezing to help keep meat moist. If not, some broth or butter never hurts the reheated product. Enjoy!

Comment

There are only the two of us also, so I portion and freeze too. We do have a vacuum sealer and portions can go straight from the freezer to a pot of hot water although a sou vide would be better.

Comment

I can't tell you how much cooked/smoked meat my wife and I have in our freezer. Thank goodness for vacuum freezer bags!

Comment

They turn out just fine. Do it. If you have a SV machine for warming, all the better.

Comment

• T-bone
            T-bone commented
            Editing a comment
            ^^^^ Ditto

Do you all seal it after the first meal, or refrigerate it overnight to let the juices solidify more first and freeze the next day? When I tried sealing it fresh I found the vacuum sealer sucked some of the juices out, so wasn't sure if refrigerating first would help that without affecting the freshness or taste.

Comment

That will help a lot. You can even freeze portions and then vacuum pack. That even works for sauces & soups.

Comment

We vacuum-pack any time we make pork-butt or a brisket. I portion any juices among the packs before we seal them.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here