Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about how much to cook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about how much to cook

I am cooking some st Louis style ribs and whole chickens for about 50 or so people they are all bring a dish to pass so about 25 sides. I have 6 whole chickens (35 lbs) and 9 slabs of ribs (26 lbs). I am figuring about 1/2 lb per person is this enough meat for that many people. Any and all advice is welcome and appreciated

That's about 2 rib bones per person, (at 13 bones per slab), and 48 pieces of chicken, (at 8 pieces per chicken). That seems a bit tight to me. Some will eat a lot, and some not. Don't forget that ribs have a high bone to meat ratio, and the chickens have bones too.

Comment

I generally will expect my guests to eat a half-rack of ribs each, even if I cut it to individual rib pieces IF that's the only meat. Having 2meats, I'd guess 1/4 slab each. For chicken, I figure two pieces per person if it's the only meat, so you'd be close there, but recognize that fewer people will think of the wings as "real" food and those will be the last pieces to go.

Id recommend a minimum of three more ribs and another chicken. IF you have leftover, AND you don't want it for yourself, out of 50-folks, there's always a few people that "left someone home" that would appreciate a doggy bag to bring them.

Better to have a little too much than not enough.

Comment

• LA Pork Butt
        LA Pork Butt commented
        Editing a comment
        geotek230 you are getting good advice from kmhfive. The only thing Imwould add is when you are offering two meats you will need more total servings because you don't know which will be most popular. You serving the portions gives better control than self serve.

• geotek230
        geotek230 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you

Adults or kids? If 50 adults then thats probably not enough, if you have 10-15 kids in there you're probably going to be OK. Add a few more racks of ribs and a couple chickens to be safe. Also remember a good chunk of what you're cooking is bone weight.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here