Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ribs in AM, Chicken in PM - SnS & Vortex!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ribs in AM, Chicken in PM - SnS & Vortex!

Looking for advice, planning on cooking ribs in the morning, followed by chicken. How long would it take to cool/clean/prep grill between cooks? Thinking of using the Slow n Sear for ribs obviously, then the Vortex for the chicken. What do y'all think? Are both cooks doable on the same day, and be ready by say 3pm at the latest? How early should I start the ribs? I know I can simply cook both on the Slow n Sear but want to use the Vortex on some wings.

Also planning on cooking a small brisket but plan to cook that on the previous day. This is for the 4th of July.

The switch from SnS to Vortex shouldn't take long at all. Just remove the SnS and place the Vortex on the charcoal grate. If you need to cook immediately, just start your charcoal for the Vortex in your chimney and have it ready to go. You might want to wipe the grate, but you don't need to if you are not worried about a bit of flavor transfer.

You can either put the SnS charcoal in the Vortex, or push it to the side, or take it out if you can store hot coals safely. If you don't have to cook immediately, use the SnS charcoal in your chimney to start the Vortex charcoal.

BBRs cook faster than SLCs, so that knowing that info would help suggesting a starting time, but you can cambro them or put them in a low oven while the chicken cooks.

Comment

JoeInTX, I Would Lean Towards a 2nd Grill for either the Vortex or the S'nS! The other Possibility is to Do Both on the S'nS? The Ribs will take +-6 Hrs, the Chicken will take 3/4 -1 Hr to Cook that takes up 7 Hrs of an 8 Hr Day! IMHOP that doesn't leave You enough Cool Down Time to Switch the S 'n S for the Vortex❓ I leave the Vortex in the Weber
      Performer Deluxe for Chicken and Reverse Seared Steak also Salmon and . . .! The Weber Kettle has the S 'n S for the
      Low and Slow Cooks! I'm not saying it's Right but it Works for Me!
      Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	10 Size:	5.10 MB ID:	336665Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	4 Size:	3.93 MB ID:	336667Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	13 Size:	957.8 KB ID:	336666Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	89 Size:	496.1 KB ID:	336668Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	83 Size:	523.9 KB ID:	336669Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	35 Size:	3.64 MB ID:	336670Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	24 Size:	3.92 MB ID:	336673Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	23 Size:	3.44 MB ID:	336671Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	28 Size:	2.60 MB ID:	336674Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	34 Size:	2.59 MB ID:	336675
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Danjohnston949; June 23, 2017, 06:25 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here