Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First ribs. First dutch baby outdoors!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First ribs. First dutch baby outdoors!

To date, I have done a chicken (awesome), a brisket (way below awesome), and a turkey (awesome) since I got my thermometer and have tried controlled cooking in the kettle.

This weekend I decided to do ribs if for no other reason than I had to clear freezer space for my new pig. (I get my pork pig at a time.) However, earlier in the week I also saw a post about a dutch baby while looking around and was surprised to see it was just baked in an oven. I do dutch babies all the time. They're my go to breakfast baked good. I figured if I could control the temperature well enough to cook meat, why not try a dutch baby in the kettle?

Turns out, holding around 400-425 isn't all that hard.

The dutch baby came out great, despite my WAY overcooking one side of the apples. (I think a griddle would have been a better move than directly on the grill, but any tips on fruit would be appreciated.) The smokiness goes really well in baked goods. I can only describe it as very "old world." I don't know quite how else to put it, but it's like the sort of thing you'd get from a village baker or something. I'm going to have to try doing a loaf of bread since I can't see why it wouldn't be totally doable.

The ribs... wow. We didn't do sauce. Generally when I try something new with a rub, I like to see how it stands without sauce to start and even when I go out, my wife and I will regularly have ribs with no sauce. The rubs are really good. This was no exception.

Cooking took about 5 - 5.5 hours (I honestly wasn't keeping close track.) They were devoured in like... less than 15 minutes. No offense to any barbecue place I've ever eaten at, but these rookie ribs were probably the best I've ever had. Ribs also seem WAY easier than brisket.
    Attached Files

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here