Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Favorite Leftover Recipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Favorite Leftover Recipes

Not sure if this is the right place for this post, or if this topic has been done to death (I did a quick search and didn't see it), but what is everyone's favorite way to re-use BBQ to make other dishes? Having a small army of kids to feed, and a desire to BBQ often, I hate wasting leftover BBQ, so I'm always looking for ways to avoid throwing it away without making the wife and kids sick of it.

I'll kick this one in to get it started: A little improvisation my wife called "BBQ Dinner Stew"
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4545.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	187.9 KB
ID:	326752
    It's basically leftover pulled pork, all the stuff you would typically find on a BBQ dinner plate, with a little bit of pork stock, tomato sauce, and a few good shakes of my pork dry rub.

Take it and run, my friends!

Looks good to me. Add some butter beans/green beans and you've got something close to Brunswick stew (Virginia style).

Comment

• j_keegan
      j_keegan commented
      Editing a comment
      Exactly what I was thinking - but don't forget the okra...

• StealthChef
      StealthChef commented
      Editing a comment
      That may well be what I was craving that day.

For me, various Mexican inspired concoctions: tacos, tortillas, burritos etc with appropriate fixings. And sometimes, just a pulled BBQ sandwich with some homemade slaw and a vinegar sauce. Don't forget mixing it into a meatloaf!

Comment

• PJBowmaster
      PJBowmaster commented
      Editing a comment
      I LOVE just rolling pulled pork up in a flour tortilla with some grilled onion and peppers. Topped with shredded cheese and sour cream! Add some salsa if you must....

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      EdF - that is what I do with a majority of leftovers. I generally find it difficult to make good BBQ bad even on day 4. I still want to do Mr. Bones ' pulled pork, peanut butter and jelly sandwich someday.

• Mudkat
      Mudkat commented
      Editing a comment
      PJBowmaster. That sounds delicious!
      StealthChef thanks for starting this thread. Lot's of good ideas already!

I love to add chopped brisket to Meathead's Ultimate Texas Chili Con Carne

Comment

brisket shepherds pie!

Comment

• StealthChef
        StealthChef commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice one!

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Now your talking crazy!! That sounds incredible.

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        my stomach just growled!!!!

All works as tacos. Many work as mix in for omelettes. Brisket works nicely in a stroganoff. Pulled pork works great for fried rice and Mac and cheese. Brisket is good that way. I have a really awesome recipe to turn cooked ribs into chili. Starts with uncooked ribs, but the base recipe has you cook them to done in the oven, so easily bent for a leftover/extra rack of BBRs.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm also reminded of MH's Thanksgiving manifesto. It's okay to eat leftover BBQ as leftover BBQ.

i am notorious for adding anything to a tortilla, roll it and fry it. Flautas and taquitos are great. also tostadas and enchiladas. I do the same in various forms with all of the different food from the holidays. I have been doing Thanksgiving flautas for a decade. I later saw it on DDD. Really good stuff comes from leftovers.
      i know what you mean about the family complaining, its a rough gig and a tough crowd

Comment

Other ideas: use as pizza toppings, or mix into scrambled eggs. I maintain that scrambled eggs and pizzas are very similar canvases, and what works for one frequently works for the other. Quesadillas are another option (not that different from pizza). Also I have an idea to used pulled chuckie in a ragu, but I haven't tried it yet.I would imagine that you could use some barbecue in stuffed peppers too.

Comment

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          JCGrill - There was a local grocery that sold breakfast pizza - scrambled eggs, cheese, bacon and sausage - mmmmm good.

• JCGrill
          JCGrill commented
          Editing a comment
          RonB I've seen a few variations of that, including one that uses sausage gravy for the sauce.

I love leftover pulled chuckie. It goes well in so many things. Just about any Mexican dish that has beef in it is great, but also pot pies, stuffed peppers, Philly Cheese Steaks, grilled cheese......

Comment

ooohhh, Tacos with pickled onions, quesadillas, green chili enchiladas, breakfast burrito, just made a chucky chili, scrambled eggs and potatoes(hash), stroganoff, meaty au gratin tators, mac n cheese, tons of sauces for samiches, nachos, paninis, stuffed peppers, patty melts, French dips, cheese dip, pasta sauce, on egg noodles with shrooms and peas. I know I know if you don't have any ideas don't say anything . Right?

Comment

There is a leftovers thread, I'm not sure where. tbob4 or ecowper can point us in the right direction. It is real tricky to find something via the search bar unless you really know what you are looking for, and always good to get a new thread started to kick up some fresh ideas.

One that I'd really like to try someday is to recreate a pasta dish from a local Italian place. I'd use a pulled chuckie - the problem is I don't know where to go from there! Their menu description is below: Seashell pasta with shredded beef, sautéed red and green julienne peppers,
            gorgonzola cream sauce, topped with fontina cheese, basil & herbs.

Comment

PBCDad take a look at this recipe. It's not shells, but it is chuck and I think you see where I'm going here. This or some variation is what I was thinking about. Doesn't quite sound like what you are talking about, but it may get you pointed in the right direction.
            Flavorful Italian comfort food that only takes 5 minutes to prep? Count me in! This popular Slow Cooker Beef Ragu recipe is easy to make & so scrumptious!

Comment

One of my best cooks ever was using leftover Rib Meat to make Stuffed Green Peppers. The were really good. I'll have to try that again this summer during Garden Pepper season. We also are know to put "almost anything" on a pizza. (before baking it on the BGE.)

Comment

• JCGrill
                JCGrill commented
                Editing a comment
                Glad to hear that my instincts were correct and that someone here has tried stuffing peppers. I will try this at some point.

PBCDad that is an interesting menu item. Usually you don't see beef in a cream sauce in Italian cooking. At least not in my experience :-). I think what I would do is find a good gorgonzola cream sauce and make that. I'd reheat (or have it fresh and still hot) the chuck roast. And then right at the end I'd saute the peppers. Then I'd add it all together just before serving.

Comment

I'm going to cheat on my contribution to this thread. I heard someone talk about bbq spaghetti so I'd be happy to give that a shot. Hmm who was that... Another easy one is grilled chicken salad which we just did with thighs.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here