Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ideas and Suggestions Wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ideas and Suggestions Wanted

So, for one reason and another, I'm home alone all weekend. Tonight I'm grilling pork chops just for me :-) .... but I'm kinda looking for ideas for the weekend. Something a bit different from my norm, but still good Q and suited to doing the bachelor thing .... so have at it.

When it's just me at home alone I always look at that as an opportunity to cook things that only I like and the others won't eat.

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Well, you should definitely take advantage of your idea. Maybe this: http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php...=detail&id=891

It's a real winner.

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      that looks interesting EdF

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      It never comes out less than great! And you'll have leftovers.

When I am alone for a weekend, I find something cheap to grill and experiment on. That way if it turns out bad, not much lost and nobody sees it!

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      good advice .... but I do want something tasty for Memorial Day without having to worry about an experiment gone bad.

• AdamJG
      AdamJG commented
      Editing a comment
      I do the opposite and buy a prime ribeye so I only need one!

I generally get lazy when bach'in it and tend to look for things that can be done quickly then re-purposed for stir fried rice, etc. ... things like ribs, steak, and chicken thighs.

Comment

I think on Sunday I'm doing a chuck roast on the WSM. I've never actually done that before.

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        richinlbrg I pretty much aways have some of that Hollerin Sauce in the fridge :-)

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        Chuckies are great smoked. Get a big one so you will have leftovers for tacos, pot pie, chili, burritos .....

• PaulstheRibList
        PaulstheRibList commented
        Editing a comment
        i haven"t either!

When I am home "free", I'll go to the deli and get a 1/2" slice of my favorite bologna and grill over hot coals and then make a sammie with mustard and grilled onions. Mmmmmm

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        could be RonB :-)

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        LOL! Ron When I first started readin' this thread, I thought "Smoked bologna"!!!
        Yummy!
        It was a rare treat fer us, also, growin' up, as was anything that came from a store!

• GadjetGriller
        GadjetGriller commented
        Editing a comment
        Its funny as a kid I dis liked Bologna. But now days (many many years later lol) I really enjoy a good (cheap) Bologna Sandwich. I have never tried it grilled or smoked. After DW Cowles did a whole one on his smoker I have wanted to try it myself. Thanks now I know what I'm doing Monday!!

I'd do the biggest, baddest, choicest, steak I could get my hands on.

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        oh, that is happening tomorrow night. But I have two more cooks after that!

• 6th Borough BBQ
        6th Borough BBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        You and me both!

You can't go wrong with the chuckie. Definitely one of my favorites especially if you haven't done one yet. It will change your life.
      Aside from that cook something that you love and your significant others don't. Even if it's something you've done before. It's not a cook but I love steak tartare on pumpernickel with a nice smathering of butter, enough salt to make it look like it snowed on top and as much diced onions as I can pack on top. The wife can't even be in the same room when I do this. But OH MAN is it good.
      Sorry my arteries are closing up now. See you on the other side.

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        ceviche is called for .... I love ceviche ... everyone else in the family is freaked out by the idea. Done!

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh man. Go for it. That's a beautiful dish. Get it while you can. Shrimp, calamari, squid, lobster ect.... yum yum.
        You just changed my whole game plan for the weekend. Now I don't know what to do.

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        I LOVE ceviche ... like serious LOVE it .... doing that tomorrow plus steak. To hell with veggies.

Something I've been meaning to do and still haven't for no good reason is a grilled pizza. I want to do one with smoked chucky like a Philly steak & cheese style, then of course a pepperoni. Great bachelor food, and if/when it turns out really good, you won't have to share!

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        mmmmmmmmm .... pizza ... I even have a stone and we do pizza in the oven .... but on the Hasty-Bake, where I can get the stone seriously hot ... plus wood fire ... oh yeah

• Skip
        Skip commented
        Editing a comment
        Grilled pizza has become a staple at our house. IMO it's a must. Try it - you won't be sorry.

ecowper , you are in for some good eats this weekend!!

last time my wife was out of town I made MH's Mac n cheese, among other things. Man was that ever good!

ENJOY!

Comment

• OneEyedJack
        OneEyedJack commented
        Editing a comment
        Question: Is the 4 oz. of pasta correct in MH's recipe? It seems light.

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm assuming that the 4 oz in that recipe is dry, uncooked.

• richinlbrg
        richinlbrg commented
        Editing a comment
        That was my take, and the way I prepared it.

ecowper & Mr. Bones - a little fun and true story for you:

My mother was one of 8 kids. She moved to "the city" when she was old enough, eventually met and married my father and lived the city life. One of her sisters remained on the farm and lived the farm life - store bought food of any type was a rare treat.

So at our home, my mother made toast most days and we had biscuits on Sunday. Her sister made biscuits six days a week and had toast made with store bought "light bread" on Sundays.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Love yer Sis's quote, ecowper !!!!
        We never even knew we was po'* (*Couldn't even afford th' extry o, an' r!) True, though.
        Jus' though that's how life was...
        Still do...
        Money is jus' a thing.

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        Mr. Bones .... money is just a thing. I have some now. I didn't then. Makes no never mind.

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Yup! Makes no never mind, 'a 'tall!

Grill pork chops last night ..... I wet brined them for about 4 hours, then let them dry a bit while the grill was firing up. Painted them with some Carolina style mustard based BBQ sauce. When they hit about 135 internal temp, I seared them for a couple minutes on each side. Came off the grill at a perfect 145. Had them with a nice Sauvignon Blanc.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1499.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	203.1 KB
ID:	324396

Comment

So, here's the weekend menu .....

Saturday - picking up a steak at the butcher shop and some fresh fish to make ceviche. Steak, ceviche, green salad
        Sunday - Cooking a chuck roast like a brisket. Will turn the leftovers into pulled beef for tacos
        Monday - (Fam is home for dinner) SLC ribs and a rotisserie chicken.

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Yabbut, isn't ceviche Spanish for salad?

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          EdF ..... so I'm having fish salad and green salad .... sweet

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          Mr. Bones Chuck roasts are so cheap at Costco, I can buy em in two packs all day

Go get a rack of lamb. Don't even bother plating it just eat it like a caveman.

Comment

I remember growing up, my dad and his brothers and sisters would get together and cook a jambalaya outside over wood in a big black pot , (we had pork (because they would raise a pig now and then). We would all sit outside and listen to the LSU football game (couldn't afford tickets).

As we all sat around the pot some one would say " I wonder what the poor folks are doing tonight?" When you have family and friends, you are a rich person.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            When you have family and friends, you are a rich person.
            Man, I think ya' done pretty much said it all!
            Leastways, that's how I see it...

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            Truth

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here