Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need PBC brisket hanging advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need PBC brisket hanging advice

I've only done one brisket before now, and I've never hung one, so give me all your tips.

Important cook info:

Subject: 14lb brisket, untrimmed
    Cooker: PBC (using a BBQ Guru)
    Cook Temp: 250
    Timing: needs to be ready to slice & serve by 12pm tomorrow

Questions:
    1) where should I hook the brisket for hanging?
    2) when should I get worried about it falling due to tenderness?
    3) what time should I hang it?
    4) what am I forgetting?

With that size you're probably going to need to triple hook it. There's videos on the PBC website that show you how to double hook a brisket etc.

Comment

You may want to trim it. It won't fall if you hook it good and don't overlook it.

Comment

• Butchman
        Butchman commented
        Editing a comment
        Overcook

If you want to eat it today you should hang it now!

Comment

Definitely going to trim it. Won't eat it until tomorrow.

Comment

As others have said plus a couple of other thoughts:
          1. Trim as necessary
          2. Dry brine overnight.
          3. Double (or triple) serial hook it. If the end is too close to the fire, hook the lower end on the other rebar for the first few hours until it shrinks up a bit. Or hook it further down so the top part flops over some.
          4. Remember it's a prime piece of brisket, and some folks here report that prime can be probe tender closer to 190°F than 203°F. So check for probe tenderness earlier than you normally would on a choice or select brisket.
          5. Get it going early. You can always cambro it for more than the 1-2 hours recommended. It loves being in the cambro spa.
          6. Hard to say how long for the cook itself. Depends on thickness. If I had to guess I'd say 9-11 hours before cambroing if you're going to average 250°F PBC temp.
          7. Have a lot of fun!

Kathryn

Comment

I have cooked many briskets on the PBC with 2 hooks and never had a problem with them falling off the hook.
          you do need to make sure the top flops over the bar just to keep the bottom from over cooking. And Prime is tricky. It really has a tendency to get over cooked. Probe early and often.

Comment

Alright fzxdoc jecucolo and Butchman after trimming it looks like I may be able to squeeze it onto the grate and not hang it if I wanted to.

So new question: does it turn out better if you hang it or lay it flat on the grate? My guess is that it won't make a huge difference either way, but I trust your opinions more than mine.

Comment

I always hang my brisket. More fun.

Comment

Hang for sure. The PBC was built for that..

Kathryn

Comment

Ditto!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here