Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Instant Pot... How I got in the doghouse without really trying.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Instant Pot... How I got in the doghouse without really trying.

It all started when my wife opened the refrigerator yesterday evening and saw two nice racks of baby backs.

Well, I've been tinkering all winter with the Instant Pot, making everything from beans/ham to pot roasts... and everything in between. Just practicing.

So, when I proudly announced that I was gonna do 'em in the pressure cooker and finish in the oven, the dog house door opened immediately. She said there was "No Way" she was eating ribs from a pressure cooker when I had two smokers in the backyard and a shed full of blue bag. Woops!

Guess what this tough guy is doing this afternoon. I'm sitting in the gazebo reading AR with HER rack in the kettle/SnS. I'm gonna do my rack in the Instant Pot, just to show her. LOL

She did say, "Those people on your ribs forum are gonna throw you out." (Hopefully not. It's just an experiment.)

Good luck when you want to "taste" some of the ribs off the kettle. Looking forward to some side-by-side pics and comparison.

Comment

I dunno. I'm leanin' towards your wife's view, but I am rootin' fer you, despite the possibility of the terrorists winning. In any event, it sounds like your better half has a good head on her shoulders. Let us know what happens.

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        The terrorists never win when it comes to pork!

As a kid my Mother cooked ribs in a pressure cooker and served them without any sauce. And I loved them. But after tasking ribs that had been smoked and sauced, I decided her ribs were not so great - to put it kindly.

Comment

Agree with your wife, throw the bum out!

Er, how did they taste? Just wonderin.

Comment

• Lowjiber
          Lowjiber commented
          Editing a comment
          I haven't cooked 'em yet. I've got 'em in the fridge with some Kosher salt. I'll report back.

I've got the Instant Pot ready though... a dash of apple cider vinegar, two tablespoons of liquid smoke, and a cup of water... all below the little grill that will hold the ribs outta the liquid.

what about cook them in the instant pot and finish them on the grill.... a solid compromise.

Comment

I actually did a pork butt for 2.5 hours in the smoker then finished in the electric pressure cooker. Came out pretty good. The bark was soft but the flavor was spot on. My favorite thing to cook in it is beans and by far number one are collard greens.

Comment

I'm interested to see/hear how they come out in th' Instant Pot! Great Post!

I always pass along th' wisdom I learned from th' Ol' Timers as a lad...Many of them were born 1870's-1880's.

When guys at work talk of buildin' a doghouse, I always tell 'em "Build ya' a nice one, now, an' bigger than ya' think it needs to be, Boys...
            Yer gonna end up sleepin 'in there, eventually!
            Last edited by Mr. Bones; May 2, 2017, 08:56 PM.

Comment

My Mom used to take spares, and simmer them in tomato sauce as an alternative to meatballs or sausage. No complaint here. There are many ways to skin a cat.

Comment

In winter, when its -30 outside, a smoker is not an option (to me). When we want ribs in that situation, I do 'em the way the Crock-Pot manual told me to:

Cut ribs into serving portions
                Season with salt & pepper
                Put under the broiler to put some color on one side, flip them over and do the other side.
                Slice an onion and place the slices in the bottom of the crock-pot
                Place the ribs on top of the onions
                Pour in a bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce
                Cook on low for 8-10 hours
                Serve over rice (make sure you spoon some sauce over everything)

They are actually quite good (for non-properly made ribs)

As far as the BBQ sauce goes: I have done extensive research on this over the years. Some sauces tend to 'break down' during the day, and don't taste so good. The best I've found is Bullseye Honey Garlic Bonanza. For us, the best taste for these ribs.

Just my 2 cents

Comment

• Willy
                  Willy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  CrockPots are great for many things--p8ulled pork, too.

Sorry my minds in the gutter. I'm just not going there.

Comment

I used to (gasp) par-boil my country ribs and then grill them. Dang, in fact, I still do sometimes! DANG DANG good eating!

Comment

• Thunder77
                    Thunder77 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    country ribs are a different thing altogether!

The only thing I boil is my beer, come to think of it , it doesn't boil but steep like fine tea, never mind

Comment

Just remember as you boil those ribs, that somewhere, in some way, a terrorist is screaming, "I win!"

Comment

EVIL DOER'S I'm with your wife on this one...but I want to know how they turn out!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here