Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Confused about Ultimate Turkey Recipe and Techniques!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Confused about Ultimate Turkey Recipe and Techniques!

Here and in the book I found this recipe very hard to follow because of all the various choices including using S&G rub. On page 310 the main ingredients list it calls for `about 1/4C of S&G Rub' (see page 168). Then we have mention of `wet rub' which calls for 4T of S&G rub with oil or water - which goes under the skin. Are we ALSO adding about 1/4C of the same rub into the drip pan? Please confirm this for me because I'm a few hours from firing up my gasser and my dry brined, spatchcocked 15lb bird

Thanks

I never added to the water pan just on and under the skin

Comment

Welcome to The Pit! Sorry this is a bit late.

The entire recipe for S&G rub makes about 1/4C total. Use 4Tbsp, or whatever looks right, on the bird on and under the skin equally (that way if people eat the skin or not the bird is seasoned regardless). 4 Tbsp is 1/4C.

The gravy recipe (on the site, don't have the book in front of me) says add about 2Tbsp of herbs (but not powdered) to the gravy pan. This doesn't have to be S&G rub, it can be just sage & thyme, but it can be S&G if you make more.

Comment

Welcome jdanham

Comment

Hope yer turkey turned out well!
          Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to th' Pit!!!

Comment

OK in spite of my concerns about how much rub to use, the biggest challenge I ended up having was not allowing extra time for cooking! Probably a newbie mistake but once I got the spatchcocked bird on the top shelf, with the dripping pan below it, with 4 oz. of applewood chips in the wood tray, my temp after an hour on HIGH was still only 260F! Knowing some guests had to leave to catch a ferry I made the executive decision to move to convection oven and finish the cook there. People loved the final product, but I am now wondering was my temp issue due to the 15lb bird and the dripping pan - both I thought were at room temperature? I suppose the internal probe may have been in a poor location - but it was really frustrating to see such slow increase when the (gas) smoker was on HIGH. I have had it up to over 400F with chicken, so my only conclusion is that it was the mass placed inside that was dragging things down.

Thanks to y'all for your comments and feedback! Howdy from West Coast of British Columbia!
            Attached Files

Comment

That pan full of liquid has to be a delaying factor. We tried this indoors last year, and it didn't work out too well. More experiments on the way!

Comment

Agreed. The large bird (a lot of moisture) and the pan with moisture will begin to steam. It takes a lot of energy to get to steam, then a whole lot more to get the steam above 212F. That you got to 260 was pretty good. If you're in a hurry, leave the liquid out of the pan and just collect the drippings. Add the liquid after the bird is done and make the gravy that way.

Comment

• EdF
                  EdF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yeah, that's the direction we're headed. Thanks!

Sorry for the delay but all this info makes total sense and I believe somewhere in that preparation instruction it talks about using hot water but I believe it was mentioned in the case where your drip pan was dry. Next time I will use scalding hot water and plans longer cook time.

Thanks again!

Comment

Or leave the water our completely

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here