Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoking a turkey breast question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoking a turkey breast question

Besides heating up a spiral ham (in the oven) today, I wanted to smoke a 6lb. turkey breast on the Weber 22 using my newly arrived SnS. I'm looking for recipes here and have had no real luck. I do have Meathead's book and need to take a look, but I was wondering if anyone here had any experience, positive or negative.

I've only done whole turkeys in th' smoker; never tried jus' a breast. Must remedy that!

I always jus' rub mine down with butter, add whatever seasonin' I select, plop it rather unceremoniously into a foil pan, an' smoke th' double hockey sticks out of it.
    If there's anything more specific that I can help ya' with, please tell me. Jus' gettin' coffeed up here...

Personal fave, an' best reviews always come from my Cajun seasoned turkeys, real crowd pleasers...I get comissioned to do a LOT of them every year.

Comment

I've just done whole breasts, (bone-in). Dry rub a few hours before smoking. Light rubbing of olive oil, then season. Cooked at 350F until internal temp of 160F. Carry-over cooking takes you to the 165F internal temp required for safe consumption. I prefer cooking poultry at higher temps, as low-n-slow tends to make rubbery skin, and dry meat, (at least at my house.) You may want to watch the salt, as many poultry products are injected at the manufacturer with salt solution.

Comment

It is a bone in breast. I buttered under the skin and used a Cajun rub as Mr. Bones suggested. Lighted the SnS and figuring I'll go with a higher temp of maybe 280°+ and see how it goes. I can always finish it in the oven. Using pecan chunks. Thanks for the great suggestions.

Comment

NortheastAl, I Won't Claim to Be an Expert but The Last Turkey Breast I Smoked was On A Steve Raichlen Beer Can Chicken Rack the Can had a Concoction of Everything But Beer❓ Turkekey was Dry Brined with Coarse Kosher Salt, and Garlic Powder Inside and Out! Just Before Going on the Weber I added More Kosher Salt, Garlic Powder, Tones Rest. Grind Black Pepper, Jack Daniels Poultry Rub and Slathered It With Wishbone Honey
        Mustard and Spice Salad Dressing! 325* F on the Weber and S 'n S for +- 3 Hrs, with Hickory and Apple Wood for Smoke! I Won't Tell You How Good It Was Let it Suffice to Say Eunice and My Nephew Were Growling at Each Other❓
        Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	205
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	305906Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	209
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	305905Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	201
Size:	197.4 KB
ID:	305907Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	187
Size:	203.2 KB
ID:	305908

Comment

Turkey breast is fantastic!

Show us your pics and tell us how it came out?

I have been getting them from the food wholesaler, frozen. Some cases are 8 pound breasts, some 5. Still refining, but I think I like cutting the breasts into 3 inch wide chunks before smoking. The greater surface area gives more bark, and having more of the meat in similar size pieces allows for more uniform cooking temp (no overcooked thinner parts). A whole 8 pound breast takes something like 2.5-3 hours at 275 degrees.

I could eat smoked turkey breast every day for 2 weeks and smile the whole time! This is my favorite turkey breast picture...I'm hungry!

Name:	IMG_6054.JPG
Views:	196
Size:	325.5 KB
ID:	305948

Comment

• johnsteen
            johnsteen commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes that does call up some tummy rumbles

Name:	IMG_0005.JPG
Views:	188
Size:	446.3 KB
ID:	306166 Forgot to take a shot as soon as I took it off the Weber. Family loved it. I even then put on a spiral sliced ham and roasted some potatos because it was too hot for my wife to turn on the oven.

Name:	IMG_0004.JPG
Views:	213
Size:	377.6 KB
ID:	306165

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here