Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Homemade deli meat anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homemade deli meat anyone?

Now that I finalky have a meat slicer on the way, I'm excited to start slicing up some deli style meats of my own making. Meats that come in roast form (e.g. roast beef) seem straight forward, but I'm unsure about some others. For those that slice up your own sandwich meat, how are you doing ham, Turkey, etc?

I rub and inject a turkey breast. I get a meat net from the butcher (always free) and that really does a nice job of holding the breast in shape while cooking. When it is done, I slice off the section I am planning to eat (usually that night's dinner and some chunks for pot pie or enchiladas). The other section goes into the fridge. The next day I use the deli slicer to make nice thin slices. You can really get paper thin if you want. I then decide whether I will vacuum pack. If you decide you want to freeze some of the turkey slices make sure that they are not too thin.

Comment

• JPGators17
      JPGators17 commented
      Editing a comment
      Interesting that the meat net is necessary on a breast. I will probably slice up a whole breast and seal/freeze some of it. Why is it important not to slice to thin (really thin is my preference) if it will be frozen?

When you get that slicer you will find that cold allows you to get thinner than you ever imagined. When you freeze it that thin and thaw it, it loses its structure and falls apart. The meat net isn't necessary - If the breast has good structure I don't use it. However, sometimes you get those funky breasts that are extra thin on one end and it doesn't cook as evenly. Another trick I use sometimes is a cheese net. If you are cooking alongside meat with a heavier smoke profile, a cheese cloth around chicken breasts or the turkey does a nice job of retaining moisture (I spritz the cloth) and filtering out some of the smoke. I treat the chicken breasts on the slicer the same as I do the turkey breasts.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here