Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cook Freeze Serve?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cook Freeze Serve?

I almost hate to ask this, but has anybody ever cooked brisket then frozen it to serve a week later? How did it turn out? It goes against every bone in my body to do such a thing ... Someone asked me to do 3 for a party they are having, but it's over a weekend that I'll be out of town on business.
    I hate to disappoint them by saying no, but I'm afraid the resulting frozen meat might not be as good as fresh off the cooker. Thoughts?

I will slice it all up, vacuum seal with some juices in the packet, freeze then sous vide to get it back to eating temp. You can't tell it wasn't cooked that day.

I pulled two pork butts yesterday, froze in gallon zip lock bags (3 of them, so not real thick). I've got a people's choice to do this coming weekend. I'll thaw in the frig, then put in a full size pan, cover and put in the smoker to heat up for serving. This way I don't have to spend time pulling the 2 butts they will give me to cook and I can support the organizer by doing PC.

Comment

I've done it too. Comes out great!

Comment

Back home when my dad and the Knights of Columbus do their brisket fundraisers they will cook 2 weeks ahead of time, then slice and freeze and then reheat on the day of serving.

Goooooooood stuff!

Comment

Wow! I honestly thought it would not be at all as good as fresh cooked and I'd be breaking some kind of BBQ rule or law! I'm delighted that I can do the cook!!
          I can do just what CandySueQ suggested - vacuum seal with plenty of juice. My wife can reheat and deliver ... Thanks All!

Comment

I do this all the time for family members. I cook the brisket, leave it intact, then vac seal it,Freeze it, then pack it and overnight it. It works great. They can just take the bags and reheat them in some hot water. And away you go. Not as good as fresh but a lot better than what they serve at restaurants. (most of them)

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
              fuzzydaddy commented
              Editing a comment
              We are, but you mentioned shipping briskets to family.

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              All you gotta do is ask. I have one in the fridge now, wet aging. Some might just show up on your door step! fuzzydaddy

• fuzzydaddy
              fuzzydaddy commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm just having fun with you! I actually plan on smoking a brisket next week when I'm back home. Thanks for the great conversation!

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here