Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday Night Experimentation!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friday Night Experimentation!

I'm going to call this a Churchill if it works out. descended from Wellington but brought into the modern age.

So, I was planning to make individual wellingtons with part of my Christmas Gift but, we defrosted the end with more trim to take out. the Duxelles are made. I have been pretty rough the last week, so I haven't made home made puff pastry so, Peppridge Farms, today. no biggie.

So, here's the idea. the Portabellos Mushrooms made into a nice dry Duxelles with a cup of red wine, yesterday. took my Prosciutto and cut it nice and small. mixed the Duxelles & Prociutto together. about half of it with a half tablespoon of room temp butter into a freezer bag. mash it all together and remove half of it. lay down the back and smooth the paste across the bag, making a thin layer in the bag. open the bag and peel one side off the layer of duxelles mix. with the bag on it's side, lay the steak onto the spread mix, put the rest on top of the meat and spread it oaver the entire top of the meat. close the bag, squeezing out all the air and drop into 131 degree Sous vide.

cook minimum 1 hour.

Meanwhile, butter at least 6 muffin cups. cut your puff pastry into 4-6" squares and line the cups.

grate 1/4-1/2 cup parm and add to the remaining duxelles/prosciutto mix.
    add 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs (I like the Italian flavored or my own with garlic and italian herbs)

mix it all together and divide it evenly between the lined muffin cups.

when you're ready to eat, bake off the pastry and pull out the meat from the sous vide.

dry the steak and sear off in a screaming hot pan. make a nice pan sauce with more red wine and the contents of the bag

add a green veg (or not) and enjoy!!
    Thant's the plan. I'll report later and let you guys know how it goes!!

You're a real cook!

Comment

I bet it will come out Really Good.

Comment

Sounds great Karon.

Comment

OK, pics to come, we're still eating. I will have used more Prosciutto next time. needs more salt. I didn't think about mustard when I was putting it together. the Y Chromosome prefers it without. I think some mustard would have cut the richness some. doing it again, I would put some cracked mustard seed or good grainy mustard in the mushroom duxelles as everything goes into the bag.

I Seared after the meat came out and used that with wine and the mushroom in the bag. when searing after sous vide, you need to dry the steak. in this case, you must also scrape off the mushrooms. that's OK! it really doesn't take long, reveal perfectly pink meat under and is very easy with the side of a fork.

We both like the puff pastry cups with more of the duxelles & cheese & bread crumbs. it's a bit dry, I'd add something to it to make it a touch more moist, maybe a softer cheese or a touch of butter or olive oil. the best part is, the extra cups make nice snacks later in the evening.

Comment

PICS!! Frankly, it doesn't look that great until you cut it. the plate would look MUCH better with some color to it but this was a last minute idea. apologies for an uncomposed plate. Click image for larger version

Name:	2017 02 17 001 Churchill first .jpg
Views:	87
Size:	345.7 KB
ID:	276990Click image for larger version

Name:	2017 02 17 006 Churchill plate.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	326.8 KB
ID:	276991Click image for larger version

Name:	2017 02 17 003 Churchill close.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	316.2 KB
ID:	276992Click image for larger version

Name:	2017 02 17 004 Churchill first .jpg
Views:	85
Size:	298.0 KB
ID:	276993Click image for larger version

Name:	2017 02 17 005 Churchill first .jpg
Views:	87
Size:	265.0 KB
ID:	276994Click image for larger version

Name:	2017 02 17 006 Churchill plate.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	326.8 KB
ID:	276995

Comment

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              Apologies? Geez!

Looks fantastico!!!

Comment

lessons learned. this would be great for ANY piece of steak, nit just the Loin. it breaks the idea of Wellington for a WHOLE chunk of meat and it breaks the idea that only loins filet can be used. putting the stuff in the bag gives you the same infusion of flavor into the meat and you still have the delicious bite of the puff pastry in the cups, as well.

OK, now comes the hard part. someone ELSE needs top make it, using my method to test it to proof the concept. I need a volunteer!!!

Comment

Help me understand what "Wellington for a WHOLE" means. And I also don't understand what "only loins filet" can be used. I will volunteer, but I need a few grounds rules:
                1. I follow kosher rules
                2. I need a sour/acid to integrate
                3. I'm not going to sous-vide, I'm going to appropriately cook the cuts I have on a wobbly ancient Weber/pan/oven.

This is probably too much: you're doing wonderful things, and I'd love to learn.

Comment

• Karon Adams
                  Karon Adams commented
                  Editing a comment
                  probably was talking about an entire loin for a party. Not sure where I said that, but it was likely just a partial thought on my part. the entire story is, my husband gave me a whole Beef loin for Christmas. this was the cooking of one section of it for just two people.

• Karon Adams
                  Karon Adams commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Kosher is out simply because I'm using the cheese in m pastry cups. don't know where butter falls on a\the Kosher spectrum. if you can't do butter, puff pastry is out. however, doing sous vide would be the way to enjoy the flavors of a Wellington w/o butter.

Thanks for sharing, very appetizing pics! I moved this to Recipe and Techniques

Comment

• Karon Adams
                  Karon Adams commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank you! If I had known it was going to go that far, I'd have started there. honestly, the first post was stream of consciousness (as so much of my stuff seems to be)

Looks so delicious.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here