Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Creme Brulee and Propane Torch Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Creme Brulee and Propane Torch Question

When torching the sugar on creme brulee, my torch constantly quits and must be relit. I’ve looked online and observed that many people have this problem. My torch is the basic brass Bernzomatic. Most suggestions for fixes were either: 1) get a hose extension so the canister can remain upright, or 2) use MAPP. I figured I solicit some REAL experts, AR Pit folks. What say y’all?

I use a butane torch (handy because it shares fuel with my cigar lighters) made by Bellemain. I bought it 4 or 5 years ago, so they no longer sell that exact model. Here's the closest to it on Amazon. I've never had a problem with it going out and needing to be relit. And when my wife isn't looking, I might have used it to light a cigar or two. :-)

you can get butane fuel at most grocery stores or cigar shops. Or just order it from cigar.com or amazon.
    Last edited by fuzzydaddy; February 16, 2017, 12:14 PM. Reason: Added AR code to Amazon link

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      yep, puts out plenty of heat. It's also got an adjustable flame and a switch to let you leave it constantly on and not have to hold the trigger. Which is handy when you're doing creme brûlée.

• Willy
      Willy commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm jealous that you took the time use the proper accent marks! lol

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      LOL .... I didn't .... My Mac corrected it for me. I'm way too lazy to bother with that.

I use a Benzomatic MAPP torch. It works great for lighting my Kamado. But if your having problems keeping the flame lit. The hose option would be a good choice. That's what I use when I was doing some soldering back in the day, they always worked great. Plus, they are easier to handle.

Comment

Hmmm, I use a handheld that is nothing fancy and I can turn it upside down with no problems.

Comment

• Willy
        Willy commented
        Editing a comment
        That comment came up often on the sites I checked. I can't explain why some folks have trouble and some don't . I don't THINK it's me (and many others), but it might be.

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        Jerod Broussard are you using a propane or butane torch?

ecowper BenzOMatic

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170216_111513.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	276479

Comment

And--back to the top!

Comment

You could always just put them under a broiler to brown the sugar.

Comment

• Willy
            Willy commented
            Editing a comment
            Been there, done that. It never worked for me. Plus, wielding a torch makes me feel manly. LOL

The type of sugar may help. I use bakers sugar, a cross between powdered sugar and crystals. Spray with a little water on the top of the creme before caramelizing...

Comment

• Willy
            Willy commented
            Editing a comment
            Interesting--I've not seen the water spray idea before.

I have a brûlé torch that I also use to light my Amazen tube. Works perfectly at the proper angle. If you want to feel really manly doing brûlé, get an iron salamander, like they did when they invented brûlé. Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	219.0 KB
ID:	276721

Comment

• Willy
            Willy commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm pretty sure that if I used a salamander, sooner or later I'd end up picking it up by the business end before it had cooled down..., or I'd melt the counter top. LOL

I use the tank plus hose method. Works great for searing after SV or slow roast, too, if I don't want to fire up the grill.

Comment

• Willy
            Willy commented
            Editing a comment
            Did you have trouble using the tank only?

Originally posted by Willy View Post
          When torching the sugar on creme brulee, my torch constantly quits and must be relit. I’ve looked online and observed that many people have this problem. My torch is the basic brass Bernzomatic. Most suggestions for fixes were either: 1) get a hose extension so the canister can remain upright, or 2) use MAPP. I figured I solicit some REAL experts, AR Pit folks. What say y’all?
          This generally happens for me when the tank is half empty. You might consider using a newer tank of holding the creme brulee vertically - but if you do, I recommend welding gloves :-)

Comment

• Willy
            Willy commented
            Editing a comment
            Full tank, partial tank, close to empty tank, different torches... My flame ALWAYS goes out. :«(

• Atalanta
            Atalanta commented
            Editing a comment
            Willy sounds like a personal problem.

• Potkettleblack
            Potkettleblack commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm sure you can get a pill for that.

Problem solved! I bought an extension hose and that fixed it. My suspicion is that liquid propane gets into the torch when the bottle is held sideways. Not sure about that and I still don't understand why some folks have this problem routinely and others don't. At any rate, with the hose, the bottle doesn't seem to need to be upright--maybe the long hose allows any liquid to vaporize in the hose?

Comment

Originally posted by Willy View Post
            Problem solved! I bought an extension hose and that fixed it. My suspicion is that liquid propane gets into the torch when the bottle is held sideways. Not sure about that and I still don't understand why some folks have this problem routinely and others don't. At any rate, with the hose, the bottle doesn't seem to need to be upright--maybe the long hose allows any liquid to vaporize in the hose?
            Interesting. I have a pretty long hose that connects (via offset smoker) to my propane bottle that was overfilled by the station employee. That in turn caused liquid propane to shoot out the tank and burn up my connection to the burner. I might also mention at the worst timing possible.

Comment

• Willy
              Willy commented
              Editing a comment
              Ouch!

Not sure if your propane fitting is pressure regulated or not, but those that are, are supposed to stay lit at any angle. I just have the old style fitting and it won't stay lit if the canister is tilted. I plan on getting one like this, but I'll also get mine at home depot because they are much cheaper than amazon in this particular instance.

Last edited by fuzzydaddy; February 19, 2017, 02:52 PM. Reason: Added AR code to Amazon link

Comment

• Willy
              Willy commented
              Editing a comment
              The one in the link is MAPP, not propane--they seem to be pricier. Mine has no obvious regulator; just the brass parts. But some others (e.g. @Jerod Broussard) with units identical to mine don't seem to have a problem.
              Last edited by Willy; February 19, 2017, 05:22 PM.

I see the problem has been solved but just for the case on more info... I use a Bernzomatic ST2200T-Detail Torch. Same style that I've used for years for that sorta thing.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here