Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is your favorite jerky seasoning?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is your favorite jerky seasoning?

Got a new dehydrator for my birthday and now I'm playing around and making jerky. I have used the Hi Mountain seasoning in the past and have enjoyed several of them, but curious what others are using. Any other commercial brands I should try or any home recipes lurking around? I'll post picks of them tomorrow or Sunday once I get done but just seeing what others use. I tend to prefer heavy pepper and spicy jerky.

It's been a million years ... but I used only teriyaki sauce and fresh ground pepper for some pretty awesome jerky back in my Alaska days.

Comment

Making Jerky is a lot of fun. I have a recipe I got from a fellow Pit member. I made it for my trip to Alaska last summer. It was a huge hit!! I will try to dig it up and post it here. Hold tight.
      Last edited by Spinaker; February 10, 2017, 05:54 PM.

Comment

Hurry up Spinaker my hands are starting to let go 😂.

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Hahahahaha, here it is!!!!

Okay man, Here is the recipe below. This is how he sent it to me. But You should check out this thread below. Because it has a lot of great information and pictures from when I was learning too. I got a lot of great help from fellow members that helped me produce a great product. Enjoy!!! and let us know how it turns out.

Take it easy on the smoke too. Its doesn't take much! Check out that other thread, it explains just how to do it and do it well.

**Note: I did add two teaspoons of Ginger Powder to this recipe.And I left out the liquid smoke because, well........I know how to add that naturally!! **

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ips-and-tricks

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_22793.jpg Views:	1 Size:	48.3 KB ID:	273591

Comment

Thanks I will have to try it. Haven't made beef jerky in a while.

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes sir! Powersmoke_80 Gave me This great recipe. Add the extra ginger too. It adds some great flavor.

• Powersmoke_80
            Powersmoke_80 commented
            Editing a comment
            I don't add the liquid smoke though, as it was in there for doing it in the oven

SPICY JERKY MARINADE

1 Flat Stout Beer
          1/2 tsp Salt
          1 Tbl Dry Mustard
          3/16 Slice fresh Ginger
          3 Tbl Soy Sauce Liquefy in Blender
          4 dry Red Peppers
          1 Tbl Brown Sugar
          4 Cloves of Garlic
          1 tsp of White Pepper
          2 Tbl Sherry

We make this all the time using either london broil or rump roast, which ever is on sale below $3.00, our super market will slice it for free

Comment

I go for the simple approach. I use brisket sliced like thick bacon. I then season the slices with a liberal amount of season salt and black pepper. I then hang it in my smoker and smoke it low and slow.

Comment

With my somewhat limited experience with beef jerky, Hi Mountain "Original" is my hands down favorite, But only when I use the RecTec. I have a dehydrator and it works great but the added real smoke flavor from smoking is AWSESOME! I am not a fan of Hi Mountain Teriyaki flavor at all and still looking/working on something better for that flavor profile.

Comment

• SMOG MAN
                SMOG MAN commented
                Editing a comment
                As a matter of fact I have some Eye of Round waiting for me to make teriyaki flavored goodness, anybody have a "go to" teriyaki recipe?

1/2 Cup beer, may use water
              1 Cup soy sauce
              3 Tbl brown sugar
              4 mashed cloves garlic
              2 Tbl sherry
              1 Tbl grated fresh gingerroot
              pineapple juice?

Can use as marinade on steaks or to make beef jerkey

We use this alot on jerky and chicken

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here