Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pastrami Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pastrami Question

I've got a corned beef (brisket flat) coming out of sure in the next few days--it's been nine days already in cure. What is the downside of not steaming it once smoked?

Edit Add-on: I wonder if a SV bath around 200°F would be equivalent to steaming?
    Last edited by Willy; February 7, 2017, 05:50 PM.

I think it would be drier and have less moisture.

Comment

Willy - are you planning on smoking it and hoping it kind of comes out like corned beef? Was it cured by you? If it's a store cured corned beef I've done it. Inedible due to the amount of salt in the brine. Everyone here advised me after that, at the least, I had to rinse it before smoking but most folks advised that it should have been soaked first. I have no idea whether steaming after would have helped.

Comment

• Willy
        Willy commented
        Editing a comment
        It's mine--Meathead's corned beef and then his"Close to Katz's Pastrami". After curing, it gets soaked in water to desalinate before smoking.

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        Good! I was hoping so - didn't want you to suffer the embarrassment and frustration I had.

someone here was very smart and told me, when i messed up my pastrami, that it is smart to cut a small piece off the meat and cook it to see if it's desalinated enough.

Comment

Good advice, DeusDingo

Comment

Dave Parrish has a recipe for making short rib pastrami in which he SVs them after the smoke, in place of the steaming step...so yepper! It will work. You could also treat like you would a regular brisket, smoke it, wrap it, cambro it, eat it. Here too is a recent thread on different finish methods with Meathead's pastrami.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here