Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To Sauce or Not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To Sauce or Not?

Do you use BBQ sauce when you eat Q or not? My feelings run towards definitely using sauce, best expressed by Ambrose Bierce in his "Devil's Dictionary" (do get a copy if you don't own one). He says:

"SAUCE, n. The one infallible sign of civilization and enlightenment. A people with no sauces has one thousand vices; a people with one sauce has only nine hundred and ninety-nine. For every sauce invented and accepted a vice is renounced and forgiven."

I Use BBQ Sauce Most of the Time
    81.82%
    BBQ Sauce is a Sin
    18.18%

I use sauce most of the time with pork, but only a small amount. Just enough to complement the flavor of the meat. With beef I usually skip the sauce altogether unless it is more of a savory variety.

Comment

I like a good sauce, but I always try the Q without sauce first. It should stand on it's own, and if it's really good, I hesitate to put sauce on it. But then I try the sauce anyway to see if it enhances the Q. Nirvana is when I can't decide which is better - sauced or unsauced.

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        That's me, too.

I almost always sauce my ribs.

I almost always never sauce my pulled pork, unless I have some of the special mustard stuff made up.

I always sauce my country style ribs AKA sliced up pork shoulder.

I never sauce my brisket unless I'm making burnt ends.

I always sauce my deer or pork when grilling it.

I sometimes sauce my chicken.

If I don't sauce my ribs I put a little more rub on 'em right before I eat 'em.

Comment

Generally, I don't use sauce the day the hunk o' meat comes off the smoker. When and if there are leftovers, I will add sauce to the portion that I reheat for work lunches and such.

Comment

It depends. One of the very first lessons I remember my dad teaching me was that sauce is for low quality meat (I'm certain he was referring to steak and A1). In general I still think that is correct most of the time. I'm more likely to use a sauce on a piece of Texas Toast than on a protein.

I have been known to use a little hollandaise on high end Ribeye from time to time though.

Back in the day though, I often created a "sauce" on pork ribs, with the addition of mops and rubs.

Comment

• Steve Vojtek
            Steve Vojtek commented
            Editing a comment
            Hollandaise on ribeyes? I'll have to try that!!! (Homemade hollandaise of course!)

I very seldom sauce my ribs because I am always experimenting with new rubs and want to get the full flavor of the rub. When I make a new rub that I really like I might have some sauce on the side for dipping.

Comment

Since using MMD with some added brown sugar to the top of ribs, I sauce rarely. The sauce is served on the side at my house most times.

Comment

If there was a choice between " I use BBQ sauce most of the time " and " BBQ sauce is a sin " I'd pick that one.. Depends on the application... Sometimes the rub is enough and sometimes you just need a bit of sauce...

Comment

I like it with and without sauce. It probably depends more on my mood and the sauce available. If eating at a BBQ joint I like to sample their sauces.

Comment

I use sauce sparingly on pork, but rarely on beef.

Comment

Depends on what I am cooking, as other have said. I like to sauce ribs when they ar on the smoker. I will eat pulled pork sammies with some sauce and slaw. My beef cooks never see sauce, there is so much beef flavor that sauce is just too much. Chicken also never sees the sauce, unless I am high temp grilling thighs or breasts.

Comment

No sauce on ribs. Maybe a splash of a vinegar concoction. Every now and again I will give in to the wife and glaze with a sauce, rather than the vinegar concoction after grilling.
                      No sauce on pulled pork except the vinegar concoction. Wife likes to add sauce to hers. She's nice, so I forgive her.
                      No sauce on brisket. Maybe a beef dripping dip.
                      Chicken likes some sauce. Many modern chickens are sad in the flavor department from the jump. But most times, no sauce.
                      My pork chops get a glaze on top of the rub.
                      Steaks sometimes get a sauce. compound butter, board sauce, worchester... sometimes just falk salt. Mood and whatnot.

Comment

I enjoy doing pork shoulder Cuban style with salt and garlic on the meat and a mojo sauce - orange/lime, garlic and oil as a baste with a reserve for serving. I cook down 2 onions cut in half and sliced, but not fully caramelized. I mix in the reserved mojo and this mixture goes back on the pulled pork. It is delicious.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Delta grill.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	272289
                          Willy - Do you think these guys are flying saucers?

Comment

• Spinaker
                            Spinaker commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Oh your damn right.

• Mr. Bones
                            Mr. Bones commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Nossir. These are, in fact, 'Flyin' Smokers!' Much easier for our Scramble/Intercept A/C to engage, cuz they fly 'Low an' Slow'.
                            Either dat, or they serve a helluva lot better in-flight meals than I've personally ever had!!! ;-))))

• tbob4
                            tbob4 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Mr. Bones - Do you think they disable the "smoke in the engine" warning?

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here