Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Valentines Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valentines Day

Valentines Day is coming folks and I'm trying to plan something amazing for the wife. I want some thoughts on these recipes.

For breakfast I want to make this:

Grilled asparagus & poached egg on toast: (it's a Jaime oliver recipe)
    • 2 large slices of good sourdough bread
    • extra virgin olive oil
    • 12 spears of asparagus
    • ½ teaspoon sweet smoked paprika
    • 2 large free-range eggs
    • Parmesan cheese
    • 4 sprigs of fresh mint
    • Bring a pan of salted water to the boil, then reduce to a simmer.
    • Heat a griddle pan over a high heat and toast the bread. Move each slice to a plate or board and drizzle with a little oil.
    • Snap the woody end off the asparagus, then griddle for a few minutes on each side, sprinkle with the paprika and divide between the pieces of toast.
    • While the asparagus is grilling, poach the eggs in the simmering water for 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove the eggs and drain, then place them on top of the asparagus.
    • Grate over the parmesan, then pick and sprinkle over the mint leaves.

For lunch I want to make Creamy Mussels with Smoky Bacon and Hard Cider Recipe: (Serious eats recipe)
    : Ingredients

• 6 slices thick-cut bacon, chopped
    • 4 1/2 pounds mussels, scrubbed and debearded
    • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
    • 2 garlic cloves, minced
    • 12 ounces hard cider, preferably a drier style
    • 4 tablespoons crème fraîche
    • 1 bunch tarragon, stems discarded, leaves chopped
    • Large handful of fresh parsley, stems discarded, leaves chopped
    • Salt and pepper
    • Bread
    Directions

• Pour one tablespoon of the olive oil into a large pot set over medium-high heat. Add the chopped bacon, and cook until the pieces are crispy, three to four minutes. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon and transfer to some paper towels. Try to leave as much of the fat behind in the pot as possible.
    • Add the garlic to the oil, and cook for a few seconds, and then add the mussels, cider, and the remaining tablespoon of olive oil. Use a wooden spoon to stir everything around, and then cover the pot and turn the heat to high. Steam the mussels until almost all of the mussels have opened, shaking the pot from time to time, three to four minutes. Using the slotted spoon, transfer the mussels to a very large bowl, leaving the liquid behind. Discard any of the mussels that haven't opened.
    • Reduce the heat to medium-high, and stir in the crème fraîche. Cook at a boil for two minutes, and then add almost all of the bacon and herbs, leaving a little of each for a garnish. Stir well, and then season the sauce to taste with salt and pepper.
    • Divide the mussels between four large bowls, ladle on some of the sauce, and garnish with the remaining bacon and herbs. Serve the mussels with good crusty bread.

Finally for dinner I think filet mignon

My own recipe just a good cut wrap it in bacon smoke it on high till it hits medium rare. Serving something like a shrimp thai appetizer with peanut thai dipping sauce.. did I say thai? Or wanton cups filled with goodness and savory.

Just for FYI I've been good all year and last year soo... this isn't get out of the dog house valentines day.

maybe: Roasted shrimp appetizer with spicy peanut sauce

Serves 4-6 (spicy peanut sauce from She Simmers makes 3 cups, enough to triple or quadruple the amount of shrimp).
    For the peanut sauce:
    1 15-oz can coconut milk
    2 oz Thai red curry paste
    3/4 cup smooth peanut butter
    1-1/2 tsp kosher salt
    2 Tbsp cider vinegar
    1/2 cup water
    For the shrimp:
    1 lb large (21-25 per pound) shrimp, peeled and deveined (defrost if frozen)
    1 Tbsp canola or vegetable oil
    1 Tbsp grated ginger root
    1 tsp turmeric
    1/4 tsp salt
    In a small sauce pan, combine all of the sauce ingredients. Whisk together to combine. Bring the sauce to a boil, then simmer 3-5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
    In a large bowl, combine the shrimp ingredients, and stir to combine (turmeric will stain, so be sure to use a glass or stainless steel bowl and a spoon you like in yellow).
    Preheat the oven to 425°F (or preheat your panini press or stove top grill pan).
    Place the shrimp in a single layer in a sheet pan with rimmed sides, and roast in the oven for 4-5 minutes until the shrimp are curled and cooked through (don't overcook). Remove from the oven and scrape the shrimp onto a plate. Let the shrimp cool to room temperature, 10-15 minutes, then skewer them with toothpicks or small cocktail picks, and arrange on a serving plate.
    Pour some of the cooled peanut sauce into a small bowl, and place it on the serving plate.
    Serve at room temperature, or chill both the sauce and cooked shrimp, and serve cold.

Comment

I need a dessert...

Maybe one of those mason jar salads with dinner. like seared duck with walnuts and mixed lettuce the baby lettuce mix. http://letslassothemoon.com/2014/12/...n-jar-recipes/
      Last edited by frijolefrito; February 6, 2017, 04:27 PM.

Comment

Well, I'd say you'll be "killing her softly with your (cooking) song"! You're the Man!

Comment

re: dessert. Most women love chocolate - so look up a good chocolate mousse recipe and whip some cream to go with it.

Comment

• frijolefrito
            frijolefrito commented
            Editing a comment
            should I go super rich.

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Of course!

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here