Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous Vide Beef Back Ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sous Vide Beef Back Ribs

I had some leftover beef back ribs from my prime rib roast and also found some on sale for $1 per lb. It's raining here today so I thought I'd give them a shot in the bath.

My plan is to cook about 6 hours at 162F and if it's dry outside I'll try to smoke them for about 30 minutes and then sear or let the vents open and cook hot to finish. I'm somewhat basing this off the chefsteps indoor ribs recipe for pork ribs.

What do you think? Good plan?

I have not done beef ribs in SV but my guess is that they would take much longer than 6 hours. Potkettleblack or Breadhead - any thoughts?

Comment

Go to Google and tipe in ' chefsteps beef ribs your way ' . Then all you have to do is decide......If you want to smoke them afterwards just throw them into the hot tub at 158f for 12 hours and then apply your rub or mop and smoke them at 150f for 3hours. They come out tender and awesome.....

​​​​​
      Last edited by Steve Vojtek; January 21, 2017, 11:36 AM.

Comment

It's too late. They have already been in the bath around 2.5 hrs. Good news is the rain is going to let up so I'll smoke them on the grill to finish at about 275.

Comment

Potkettleblack is probably the resident expert for these.

Comment

Pulled them from the bath and stuck in the garage fridge while the smoker is heating up. This is after 4+ plus hours in the bath.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170121_150027.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	309.5 KB
ID:	266125

Comment

This is a little over an hour and a half in at 275. They already feel pretty tender. I'm going to give it another 30 mins or so, sauce and then pull.

Today, I set the vents, preheated, threw the meat on, and I hit 275 perfectly without any adjustments. The SnS is awesome!

Name:	20170121_170022.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	443.0 KB
ID:	266168

Comment

Looking forward to the results. Looks seriously on-track at this point!

Comment

Here they are... Turned out just about perfect. Not sure how I would improve them. They were super tender and had a good bark. Even had a nice thin smoke ring.

Name:	20170121_175843.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	428.9 KB
ID:	266194

Name:	20170121_175902.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	359.2 KB
ID:	266193

Name:	20170121_175923.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	363.2 KB
ID:	266195

Comment

• HorseDoctor
                    HorseDoctor commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I about took a bite out of my screen! Look great!!!

• tbob4
                    tbob4 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    HorseDoctor - hahahahaha. They do look good, don't they!

• Atalanta
                    Atalanta commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I'll take two.

I'd go a minimum of 8 at a high temp, like 165. I would go lower and looonger. Below 140 for 24+.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here