Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chicken injection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chicken injection

So i normally don't do this and seems like most ppl on here don't as well but I wanted to try and inject some chicken thighs and drumbsticks that I had in my freezer.

This is the recipe I came up with (enough for 2 whole chickens):

1/2 stick butter
    1/8 cup and 1 TB of apple juice or apple cider vinegar
    1 TBS brown sugar
    1 TBS salt
    1/2 TBS black pepper
    1/2 tsp garlic powder

And used my chicken rub that I make:

½ cup brown sugar
    ¼ cup black pepper
    1/8 cup cumin
    1/8 cup chili powder
    1/8 cup salt
    1 ½ tbs garlic powder
    1 tbs lemon pepper
    1 tbs cayenne

Will be smoking the chicken this evening around 250. Will let you know how it goes!

Sounds good. If you can, try for 325+. Your chicken skin will thank you

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      I have a couple 10 pound turkeys to cook on Sunday. I'm removing the leg quarters so I can run almost 400 in the Pit Barrel and use the 26" kettle and SnS to cook the dark meat plenty hot also.

• edible hen
      edible hen commented
      Editing a comment
      I have a 14 pounder to smoke on Christmas. It'll be a breeze compared to Thanksgiving.

What is your intent or goal of injecting them?

Thighs are already the fattiest juiciest part of the bird so I'm confused by the need to use butter.

Why brown instead of white sugar?

i would recommend a higher temp as well. 325 maybe...

Comment

• cwain8845
      cwain8845 commented
      Editing a comment
      Really just experimenting. No real genuine reasons why on the brown sugar and not white. Also didn't have any chicken breasts lying around to inject either.
      Guess it's time for a grocery run ha.

Will also prolly put them under the broil for a couple minutes to crisp up the skin.

• Nate
      Nate commented
      Editing a comment
      Anxious to hear how it turns out.

UPDATE

Overall there really wasn't much difference in the chicken. I ended up cooking more around 285 or so.

Really the only ingredient that stood out to me the most in the injection was the butter. I got a hint of apple but that was prolly from the wood I was using.

So overall, I don't feel it is worth injecting chicken with the exception of a whole bird and injecting the breast meat.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here