Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Memphis Dust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Memphis Dust

Looking for a tip here guys. I'm almost 5 hours along in my rib cook. Ribs prepped with Memphis Dust with extra brown sugar. Cooking temp has been 225-235F. After 5 hours along, i'm not getting any hardening on the exterior of the ribs, and the Memphis Dust is just gooey in texture on top. The ribs are not ready yet with the bend test. Any suggestions at firming up the exterior on these? Ribs are also beading up quite a bit of moisture on the top which would keep the rub mushy. I don't have that much experience with Memphis Dust, or ribs. St. Louis style.

Personally, I cook ribs (with MMD) at higher temps (275 - 310 ... it's a PBC thing) and haven't seen the problem you describe. If I were in your shoes, I'd think seriously about upping your temperature a bit.

Comment

• BGWolf
      BGWolf commented
      Editing a comment
      That's unusual, MMD is my go to rub for pork shoulder and ribs. I've never had issues with the bark nor setting. Have you calibrated your pit thermometer lately?

• Shane Rakow
      Shane Rakow commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for your fast response Mbmorgan. The ribs were great!

• MBMorgan
      MBMorgan commented
      Editing a comment
      You're quite welcome! Glad everything turned out OK ... (BTW, those rib photos down below look awesome!)

I agree bump up the temp!

Comment

• Shane Rakow
      Shane Rakow commented
      Editing a comment
      Bumped. Thanks BG.

I did mine a week ago on my PBC. Had trouble getting the heat up due to the outside temp, had it around 210 to 225, the the MMD barked real nice. So, I wonder if it's something more than temp. Although, 340 ought to cook something.

Comment

• Shane Rakow
      Shane Rakow commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm baffled here. I know I made the MMD correctly. Using a Smoke to monitor temps. Using Meathead's last meal rib recipe to the letter. Maybe it just needs to keep cooking, and i'm getting a bit froggy.

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      I did do 3 racks for 7 hrs.

I had similar issues in the past. But the last rib cook I did I bumped up the temps to 250-275. And the ribs came out great. Previously I was going at 225-235. Also the times were 6-61/2hrs or so to about 5-1/2hrs

Comment

• Shane Rakow
      Shane Rakow commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Steve B! Same thing here. Bumped and turned out super! Thanks for your input. This information is going into my cook notes.

Water pan??? Might be too humid...

Comment

• Shane Rakow
      Shane Rakow commented
      Editing a comment
      No water pan, but it did snow "4 the night before cook. Ambient humidity, 91%. Stuff for my notes. Thx, Choffert!

I doubt this is the rubs fault but tell us what components you put in the rub. Brand, granularity, anything else you can think to share.

Comment

• Shane Rakow
      Shane Rakow commented
      Editing a comment
      It's not the rubs fault. It is operator error in not knowing ribs and how to cook ribs. Fireman posted that he had 7 hour ribs before. I think these are meaty and I was getting antsy. Not sure how long they would have had to cook at 225F, but i'm glad i bumped the temp. Deelish ribs and I ate like a coyote.

• David Parrish
      David Parrish commented
      Editing a comment
      Good deal! Glad it worked out.

Ok guys. Thanks so much for the input!MMD was mushy at 5 hours at 225F smoker temp. Pushed temp to 340F, (could have went to 375F) for an hour. Bend test was spot-on. The MMD has firmed up almost across the entire rack. I slid the ribs under the broiler for 5 minutes. That finished off the final stubborn spots of MMD. I rarely cook ribs, so thanks again for the rescue! Now it's time to eat.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161204_172006_362.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	255.9 KB
ID:	246789

Comment

Those ribs look guuuuud!

Comment

Shane Rakow Gorgeous ribs, worth being proud of! Thanks fer sharin'!!!

Comment

Beautiful, bark looks great. Now this eating like a coyote thing, tell us more.

Comment

• Shane Rakow
            Shane Rakow commented
            Editing a comment
            Ha Ha Fireman! I kinda went after these ribs a bit hard. I was guarding my plate....and I live alone.

Sweeeeeeeeet. Nice cook. Those ribs look awesome

Comment

Shane Rakow , what type of smoker are you using?

I've found that when cooking at that 225ish temp with my WSM, Vault and Mixon (All vault/water cookers) that last hour is the money, meaning the rub goes from mushy to firm right at the end of the cook. David Parrish is also spot on in that variability in your ingredients plays a part.

If your rub is still soft, it's not done. The Memphis Dust recipe produces some beautiful and outstanding bark. I would caution turning the heat up so drastically, as the sugar will burn at over 325, and I find it starts getting there with long exposures over 300.

Note that I am a HEAVY RUB applier. I think my average rack of St. Louis cut ribs gets 3.5+ ounces of rub. So, with that heavier coating of rub, it's going to take longer to get the bark set.

Now, on the stickburners, bark forms more quickly due to lower humidity and higher airflow.

Your end product looked tasty - so glad you enjoyed them. Keep us updated on your next cooks!

Comment

• Shane Rakow
              Shane Rakow commented
              Editing a comment
              It is an old Traeger pellet smoker. I slid a homemade smoke tube inside as well. Thanks for the tips!!! I appreciate all feedback. I keep a logbook to refer back to on how I mangled my cook, so hopefully, all of the tips I get will prepare me for the next one.

I think the wet spots was just the sugar melting and making it look gooey. It firms up. Nice cook

Comment

You smoked some gorgeous ribs!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here