Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shook up some butter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shook up some butter

I poured about a cup of heavy cream into an old mayo jar and shook it up today. Pretty cool process, never done it before. Anyhow, how long will it keep? I read if you throw it in the fridge it gets hard as a rock. Can I keep it on the counter top? How long? I don't have a butter bell, but it's in a covered plastic container.

Did you remove the buttermilk? You need to wash the butter under cold water to get as much buttermilk out as you can. The more you remove, the longer it will last. If you only started with a cup, you probably only got about half a cup. That shouldn't last long enough to spoil, but I'd put it in the refrigerator and take it out about an hour before you plan on using it.

Comment

I rinsed it once, there's a wee bit of milk settling in the bottom of the container. It's already made a fine grilled brisket and cheese sammich!

Comment

I ate all of mine within a week, so I can't answer!

Comment

Mine is Goin pretty quick. Turns out fresh butter is good on plain ole bread.

Comment

I'm in the Whata Burger drive-thru starving to death and I gotta read this mess.

Comment

Gents & Ladies as Well, When I was a Kid, Grade School and Younger, the Cows were Milked by Hand, the Milk was Separated in a Hand Cranked Separator, and the Cream was Hand Churned to Butter, Salted, Rinsed and Pressed to Remove the Butter Milk! The Skim Milk and Buttermilk were generally fed to the Calves, Pigs, Lambs or Chickens! Raw Whole Milk was Filtered and often kept cool in the Well House! Home Pasturization came into common usage on the Farms with REA, the electrification of Rural America in 1948-1950 in N-Central North Dakota!
              Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

I thought I was old thinking about the milkman dropping off a couple of bottles in our box by the side door.
                DJ I've got one thing to say.......mooooo. cough, ack! I meant thanks for the milk!

Comment

Just shook some up too and realized something.

1. Eggs for creme brulee along with some heavy whipping cream
                  2. Egg yolks for the brulee, egg whites for bread pudding, extra whipping cream for butter
                  3. Use butter to make clarified butter

Comment

New kid on the website here...what is this y'all are concocting here? Sounds interesting. Is there a how-to here on the website? Thx. -Dom.

Comment

Dom - I posted a recipe in this post. It's reply # 8.

Comment

• AZRedneck
                      AZRedneck commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks! I knew I just read this here in the Pit but didn't remember who started the conversation or exactly how to get to it. I gotta start saving more links I guess.

• Dom
                      Dom commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Great, thx!

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here