Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked Ground Beef - Mind Blown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I just have to mention fish. Fatty fish like mackerel, eel and herring are fantastic (if you can get it). The fat goes oh so well with smoke. Salmon is of course also a great fat fish, but I assume most people have tried that one on the smoker already.

I typically buy a whole mackerel (gutted only) and put it on with skin, fins and all. It will turn a golden yellow which makes for a nice presentation.

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Mackerel - my kind of fish!

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      Holy mackerel Andy!

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Now, Amos, I done tolt choo; Th' Kingfish, he know how t' smoke him some fish!
      Das why he th' Kingfish!!!

I do smoked mac and cheese all the time only way wife wants it now. She prefers hickory over apple
    This friday i am trying a different amped up mac and cheese on the grill

Comment

• customtrim
      customtrim commented
      Editing a comment
      Mr. Bones want to do a roasted red pepper and roast garlic mac and cheese for her.

• JPGators17
      JPGators17 commented
      Editing a comment
      After having such success with smoked lasagna, this idea sounds awesome. Cheese and smoke make the best of friends.

• customtrim
      customtrim commented
      Editing a comment
      @Mr.Bones 1 lb of pasta
      3 Tbs butter
      3Tbs flour
      1Tbs ground mustard
      3 cups of milk
      1/2 cup onion finely diced
      1 bay leaf
      1/2teaspoon paprika
      12 to 16 onces of cheese i use 16 either sharp cheddar or aged white
      1 teaspoon of kosher salt fresh black pepper

I am intrigued. So, what I said a ballpark time for smoking hamburgers? I have done hot dogs and they turn out great.

Comment

• BBQbot
      BBQbot commented
      Editing a comment
      Ground beef picks up smoke flavor very fast (I'd go lighter on the smoke the first time) - here's what I do - smoke at 240 to internal temp of 115, finish on grill to 135.

• LA Pork Butt
      LA Pork Butt commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks BBQbot

• rip1877
      rip1877 commented
      Editing a comment
      If I just threw a log of hamburger in the smoker am i just looking for IT of 135? I am looking to just smoke the meat for recipes for now, later I will go for the patties.

I have used this recipe, the cooking times are about 10 min. for an 8oz. patty per side before searing but internal temperature as your guide.
    Here's everything you need to know to make the best thick juicy crispy steakburger hamburger you ever tasted. This reverse seared steakhouse burger recipe produces perfectly cooked burgers with rich steak flavors, a wonderful smoky undertone, perfectly seasoned interior, and enough juice to soak the bun.

Comment

Yes, loved smoked meatloaf and burgers, totally agree that the flavor gets kicked up a big notch!

Also smoke my pot roasts, throwing one on tomorrow morning - well marbled chuck, smoke it before throwing it in the slow cooker. Needs a good amount of smoke to really bring out the flavor after it's slow cooked.

This isn't unusual, but you have to smoke your prime ribs. I'll never go back to oven roasted prime ribs.

Another one that's worth doing (and not unusual,but I think a must), is reverse sear your steaks, start a thick ribeye in the smoker, reverse sear on the grill or cast iron.

Comment

Another good smoked food that you would not expect, crumble some breakfast sausage into a foil pan,smoke for 30 minutes, take it to a skillet and fry, add milk, flour, black pepper and make sausage gravy. A wonderful twist on reg biscuits and gravy.

Comment

I'm sorry, I'm spacing out a bit. For those of you doing meatloafs, how long on the smoke, to what IT?

Comment

• JPGators17
            JPGators17 commented
            Editing a comment
            Time depends on the size of the loaf. 160 IT is the target. I'd estimate a 2-3 pound loaf to take somewhere around 1.5 - 2 hours at 225.

• JPGators17
            JPGators17 commented
            Editing a comment
            But I haven't really been watching the clock on mine, just IT.

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Great. Thanks man!

FAJITAS! Sear the chicken on the GrillGrates and then cook indirect to 160* F. Slice into strips to add to your fajitas. You can stir fry the veges in a perforated wok to add some smoke to them too.

And slice some red onions very thin, put in a ziploc bag, and add the juice of one lime to the bag. Let that stand for at least 15 min, and up to several hours. Add some to your fajita just before you fold it. WOW!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here