Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pulled pork started on grill.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pulled pork started on grill.....

I am wondering if anyone has started a Boston Butt on the grill and finished in the inside oven? I have to go to work but am making pulled pork for our small group finally. Reading through the forum it seems like I want to serve right after I cook. Is it OK to do this, and has only one had success doing this?

thanks!

I've done them really hot to get the bark, then transfer to the oven, either covered or uncovered until tender. Water pan underneath if uncovered to catch drippings.

Comment

Thanks. I plan on cooking for about 2 to 2-1/2 hours on the grill. When I put in the oven, would it be at 225 deg? Also, if I cover it, is it just foil loose on top?
      thanks for any help.

Comment

The longer you hold it at a lower temp the better. After you smoke/cook it initially, get it to the 195-205 range, then hold it, wrapped tightly in foil, in a low temp oven at say 160 to 180, it will be shredded juicy magic. I have done it may times where I've faux cambroed mine and put them in an oven for a few hours, then back to a faux cambro. Each time it seems like the longer I hold it that way the better it gets. I've had pulled pork on heat 30hrs total (counting smoking time) before serving, 17 hrs wrapped and in the faux cambro/oven and it was incredible.

Comment

Originally posted by Dfusco View Post
          I am wondering if anyone has started a Boston Butt on the grill and finished in the inside oven? I have to go to work but am making pulled pork for our small group finally. Reading through the forum it seems like I want to serve right after I cook. Is it OK to do this, and has only one had success doing this?

thanks!
          Oh yeah, you'll be fine. I do it alla th' time...

Get a good smoke on it, then fridge, oven, as needed, to desired IT.

Even over several days / cooker / fridge cycles, like my last butt cook:

<insert link>

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0218.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	259.4 KB
ID:	246084
            Boy, I have to get back on here more.
            It has been a few weeks, but wanted to thank you for your tips. I wound up smoking it from 5am until about 9 or 10 when my wife took it off the grill and into the oven. About 3 in the afternoon it hit 209 and my wife took it out, wrapped it in foil, wrapped a towel around it and put it in an empty cooler. When I got home at 6, it was still hot like it just came out of the oven. Shredded well and was a big hit at small group.

This was before I left for work. I also have to give a shout out to my 18" Webber for doing a great job. There was a nice deep smoke ring on the meat. One thing I did learn....I need a bigger grill.

Comment

That looks really good, and from your words sounds like it was delicious! Congrats on a good cook!

It appears that you have that chunk of yummy goodness over direct heat. Is there a way with your cooker you can do an indirect cook? Generally the slower the better. Also what Huskee said about resting it at lower temps. I have made it a part of the cook to wrap tightly in foil, then place in a 170F oven for at least 2 hours. I have left them for up to 6 hours and the meat IT was still at 180. There's magic in slow cooking.

After reading your post again, since it's already in the oven and wrapped, you could simply lower the oven temp to 170 or so and let it sit there. (170 is as low as my oven will go so... adjust fire for your equipment as needed). At 170 it wont hurt that meat a bit. It's above the danger zone for bacteria growth.

Comment

Originally posted by Dfusco View Post
                One thing I did learn....I need a bigger grill.

Always!

Comment

AZRedneck,
                  It just looks like it is over the coals. with an 18" Grill and an 8 Lb Butt, there is not much room for it on the non-coal side. There was a little bit of it over the coals, thus the need for a bigger grill!

Thanks again!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here