Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chicken quarters when the weather doesn't cooperate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chicken quarters when the weather doesn't cooperate?

My wife and I are going camping this weekend and we're trying to simplify meal prep a bit since we'll be taking our one year old. We wanted to do Jambalaya and my plan was to grill a couple Cajun chicken quarters (skinless) ahead of time, pulling the chicken, and then throwing the pulled chicken in the Dutch oven this weekend when the jambalaya is cooking. With Hurricane Hermine on the way (probably TS Hermine by the time it makes it my way) I doubt I'll be able to grill tomorrow. What's the best backup plan to get good grilled chicken quarters like results in the oven? Salt, rub, then cook it at 325 in a dutch oven in the oven until about 140 degrees and then sear on the stove?

I'd bake them at the same temp you'd use in your grill, but straight on a rack or raised rack with foil under it to catch the messy drippings of course. If you're trying to emulate the grilled chicken part, I'd skip the Dutch oven or pan until it comes time for the finish part of the recipe. If you have smoked salt I'd use it here. Maybe dust with a little smoked paprika if you have it. These things just to add a smoky essence if that matters to you. Then proceed as you've mentioned.

Comment

I use a cookie sheet with a cooling rack on it to raise the chicken up above it. I line the sheet with foil to deal with the mess. I take the chicken to 165 like that and don't worry about searing.

Comment

I have it dry brining in the fridge on a bakers rack on a baking sheet. I'll just put the rub on and when I'm ready to cook it I'll throw the cookie sheet in the oven then with some foil under it. I'll save the Dutch oven for when I'm finishing it at camp. Thanks for the help!

Comment

Sounds like a good plan. Love to see how it turns out.

Comment

Jambalaya turned out great and the chicken in the oven trick worked. Not quite as tasty as grilled (I snuck a bite) but with so much else going on in the jambalaya it didn't matter much.

Camping didn't work out though. My son came down with a fever. 😖

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here