Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket on top of Pork or other way around

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket on top of Pork or other way around

I feel like asking which piece of meat should be a top and which should be a bottom might get this flagged as inappropriate but here we go.

If I were to cook a brisket and pork butt at the same time in my WSM 18", and if I can get both pieces on the top rack, any recommendation on which to put on the top vs bottom grate? The two factors I'm thinking of are drippings from the top one (and how/if that might impact taste) as well as temperature between the top and bottom, with the bottom running a bit cooler. The latter point made me think the brisket should go on top.

Any opinions? Or am I overthinking it?

I usually go brisket up top. I think the bottom runs hotter in WSM but i could be wrong. I just dont like all the pork drippings on a nice brisket, but butts usually are cheaper and get shredded up a bit more so not as concerned with them.

I dont know how much the drippings would impact taste but they definitely can mess up the bark.

Also, you'll probably cut it close on charcoal with two large hunks of meat that need to be cooked low and slow. May need to reload, and try to manage the ash!

Comment

You could try both and judge for yourself for future cooks.

But generally in cooking, pork fat is considered more neutral than beef fat. Hence pork fat can be mixed with other meats but usually beef fat is reserved for beef for its strong beefy flavor. and Chicken fat the most neutral...

Comment

If temperature zones in the cooker is not an issue, I would do beef on top. The reason is that I'd rather have the peppery rub of the beef drip on the ribs, instead of the sweeter rub from the ribs drip on my beef.

Comment

Depends on your rubs. If they play well together, I always put pork over brisket. Pork fat rules! But, if you're uncomfortable with it, put your pork on a rack with foil underneath it. Make sure the fat will run off the foil to where the brisket isn't or cook 2 briskets and forget the pork.

Comment

• CandySueQ
            CandySueQ commented
            Editing a comment
            I put pork on top because the top rack is hotter and I'm going to spritz the butt and not mess with the brisket much at all (except for flipping the brisket over after 2-3 hours).

• jabostick
            jabostick commented
            Editing a comment
            Originally posted by CandySueQ View Post
            Pork fat rules!
            Is that you, Emeril?

Thanks everyone! Interesting thoughts. I havent actually measured to see what my own smoker is but, after posting this I did find some suggestion that it might be around 10-15 lower near the water pan (via the Virtual Weber site).

Hopefully I can get them both on the top rack with a bit of space in between the meats and then I don't have to worry about it.

Comment

• CandySueQ
            CandySueQ commented
            Editing a comment
            If you split the point and flat, put the point on the bottom shelf. You don't have to mess with it, put it under the flat.

• jabostick
            jabostick commented
            Editing a comment
            Good idea!

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here