Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dry-aged BBQ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dry-aged BBQ?

Video about a restaurant in NYC that smokes 90-day dry-aged beef. Just seems wrong.

They lost me when they said the predominate flavor was funky. Funky is not a word I want to use when I describe what I'm eating... Of course, that does save me the $150 for one steak, so I'm good with that. LOL
    Last edited by RonB; August 25, 2016, 11:16 AM.

Comment

I saw a guy tonight at the plant wearing some really thick framed black safety glasses, I thought of batman.

No thanks to dry-aged steaks. Not even 28 days. I like them off the cow. Wet-aging briskets is a delight.

Comment

• Porterdriver
        Porterdriver commented
        Editing a comment
        Which begs the question, how long do you 'wet-age' your briskets? I assume that means still in the packer cryovac bag, correct?

Thanks ... but no thanks. As Jerod observed, fresh cow is best ...

Comment

If I remember correctly, I believe in Franklin's book he mentioned that when dry aged meat is smoked the "funky" flavor doesn't really work like with grilling steaks....

I believe dry aging is for occasions and not to be over done so one can savor different styles and flavors of meat.

Comment

I put smoke on my 28 day dry aged Ribeye while reverse searing. It was a bit much. Dry age is a great flavor on its own, doesn't need much in the way of help. 90 day dry age is a level of funk I'm not eager to try. 55 is about as far as I think is worth going with beef that isn't bresaola.

Comment

Now its not BBQ or even beef, but I remember a disaster my parents tried many years ago. They took a frozen duck and strung it up in the basement. I don't know how long it hung there, a day? a week? a month? They took it down and cooked it. I flat out refused to eat it, it was so disgusting. I think they got the idea from the ducks hanging in Chinatown.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
              Potkettleblack commented
              Editing a comment
              Odd, as the ducks hanging in Chinatown have been cooked and or cured before they hang.

• Atalanta
              Atalanta commented
              Editing a comment
              I know. I saw some odd things hanging in Hong Kong, but that was long after the "dead duck" incident.

• Obi-Dan
              Obi-Dan commented
              Editing a comment
              Capt. Blackthorne hung a fresh fowl in both the book and mini-series Shogun. Maybe your parents were inspired.

I did dry age a brisket flat -- once. Funky is definitely the word. Not something I will ever repeat. Smoking didn't help it any in my opinion.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here