Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to cook meat (chuck/brisket) damn near perfect every time.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to cook meat (chuck/brisket) damn near perfect every time.

Had some beginners luck on my first chuck roast. Nice and juicy w/ nice bark.

I made 2 more over the weekend and both were a little over done. Bark was a little too thick/hard to chew in places. Meat inside was a little dry.

I have a 22 inch webber kettle w/ a Slow n Sear. I use water in the pan.

I don't have a thermometer to measure meat temp and grill temp (I've been winging it all this time) but never had a problem w/ ribs I just do the bend test and that's fine.

I guess I definitely need a thermometer, one that does the meat and grill at the same time. Is it crucial to catch the meat right at the stall to foil it to bring the temp up?

Any other tips

Thanks.
    Eric

I don't bother with stall numbers. I deal with aesthetics. When cooking with the SnS (or any indirect method) I watch the top. Once that barks up I flip it and let the other side bark up. Once barked up enough I wrap and take to probe tender, or whatever is required.

Click me for chuck roast recipe

Comment

• Thunder77
      Thunder77 commented
      Editing a comment
      +1 on what Jerod said... Also, I would highly recommend a thermometer.

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the link, Jerod. I can see a couple places where I could improve, and where a couple chuckie cooks went wrong. I've wound up slicing a couple rather than pulling them, but I think I see the changes needed.

Roughly how long at that 225? Is this a 6 hour, 10 hour, 12, 16?

Get yourself a Maverick ET-732 and a good instant read probe. Preferably the Thermapen, but a Thermoworks Thermopop is good, too. Jerod Broussard hit the nail on the head for basic technique. I personally don't touch whatever I'm cooking (brisket, Chuck, pork butt) until it hits 190 on the Maverick and then I start probing for tenderness. I find that both brisket and pork butt are generally somewhere between 195 and 203. 80% of the time it's 198-200. Chuck usually needs to get a bit hotter in my experience, like 205 or so.

Thats ts my own experience. YMMV

Comment

Thanks guys. Jerod Broussard I didn't realize the meat needs a flip...my first cook I let stay for about 6 hours as I was gone all afternoon. The temp fell a lot and there was a nice bark when I got home but the meat temp was 153. This past week, I flipped it and left the house again but vents were too open and I think it was too hot - a little too much bark that was like chewing beef jerky in spots.

Going at it again this week. Been using the recipe off the ABC/SNS site.

ecowper Will likely grab a dot, looks like a great all round tool.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        It is not a cook killer to not flip. But for all around bark and to prevent one side from getting too jerkified if cooking past the stall uncovered, it helps give a more uniform product.

On my Kettle + SnS, for pork butts I typically add more Kingsford briquets close to 7 hours in and flip my butts then as they have good top bark. Doing both at the same time has worked great for me. YMMV with chuckies and brisket. Here's my last butt when I was heading for the faux cambro.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6692.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	232.1 KB
ID:	209453

Comment

• Reds Fan 5
        Reds Fan 5 commented
        Editing a comment
        fuzzydaddy, that is a great looking butt. MMD or your own rub?

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        fuzzydaddy .... That thing looks outstanding. It really does.

• fuzzydaddy
        fuzzydaddy commented
        Editing a comment
        Reds Fan 5 I used MMD.

fuzzydaddy That looks amazing

Comment

The single most important thing I learned on AR was to use a thermometer and cook to temp/tenderness, not time. The Maverick is great and the Thermopop works well.

Comment

Jerod Broussard thanks again for the solid tip to cook for bark then flip. Did another chuck yesterday and it was awesome
          Attached Files

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
            Jerod Broussard commented
            Editing a comment
            Sweet! Pulled chuck is the awesome!

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here