Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Potjiekos Anyone ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Potjiekos Anyone ?

It's fall and time to break out the Potjie (Pots). Is anyone else interested in this technique ?

Como se what? Had to look it up, interested to see what recipes you have, google stuff looks pretty good.

Comment

It's terrific. I have three pots given to me by my South African friends. I usually make stews from lamb, oxtail and wild game. Anything goes with this technique. I'll begin posting different cooks (with pictures) as I go along.

Comment

Ever do any paella?

Comment

• Jon Solberg
          Jon Solberg commented
          Editing a comment
          Love that stuff... there's this little place in Manhattan, 49th at Lexington... man.

I'm looking to buy a genuine South African potjie for my wife (who is Zimbabwean) to cook sadza in. Very hard to find the genuine article here in England and way too heavy to bring back by plane from our frequent African trips!

Comment

• Willy
          Willy commented
          Editing a comment
          Isn't a cast iron Dutch oven the equivalent? If not, what differences exist?

Generally, a Potjie has legs so that it may be stood over a wood fire and also a loop handle so that it may be hung on a tripod over a fire. We have found that regular cast-iron dutch ovens do not sit well on top of wood fires and tend to tip over. I know we could make some kind of trivet to stand it on but a traditional Potjie is on legs ...

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_38134.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	316955

Here is a very standard type ...

Comment

Interesting! I just checked Amazon and they get expensive and really big. I see another difference besides legs is the rounded bottom. Dutch ovens are flat bottomed. That will change the cooking character.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here