Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Food Lab's guide to sous vide Pulled Pork

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Food Lab's guide to sous vide Pulled Pork

Gonna have to give this a try...

I know some of you guys on here have done sous vide pork butts, curious on your thoughts on the technique as detailed in the article.

For the bag juices, I highly recommend reserving, boiling in the microwave (in a large vessel, relative to the amount of juice, like a 2c measuring cup), then filtering out the now congealed albumin (the gross brain looking gook in your hot juice). I highly recommend making use of that. It's the SV equivalent of the "fond" from pan searing and saute.

Rubbing before bagging will generally flavor the surface of the meat, and not penetrate as JKLA says in Step 6 (just like a Meathead/Blonder marinade experiment). It will also flavor the bag juices, which is nice, but not penetration. Sous vide, like most cooking, is extractive, not inceptive.

Otherwise, this seems solid. If you don't want to use Liquid smoke, I'd give it a couple hours of smoke before bagging. Otherwise, I trust JKLA a lot further than I can throw him.
    Last edited by Potkettleblack; July 6, 2016, 10:51 AM.

Comment

I sous vide at 140° for 24 hours after I've dry brined it overnight in the fridge. Then I take it out of the SV bag and pat it dry. Then I paint on some beef love and put a rub on it. I put it in the BGE at 225° until I get the bark I want, usually 5 hours. Then I cambro it for a few hours. Then I chow down.😆

Comment

Sometimes it really hurts being the old fart on this site.

Comment

• billg71
          billg71 commented
          Editing a comment
          You're not the only old fart around here boftx. Barbecued(?) pork butt from a water bath? That's just wrong.

• badf00d
          badf00d commented
          Editing a comment
          It's just another kind of oven.

• boftx
          boftx commented
          Editing a comment
          I stand my other comments, badf00d. Bathtubs are for getting ready for church and making Gin. Real BBQ needs wood.

I have no doubt that I have had many a SV steak at various dinners I've gone to, and I agree it is just another tool, but it just ain't BBQ in my book and I will make a friendly wager with anyone that I can turn out a better rib-eye on my smoker than they can in their bathtub. The only thing a bathtub might good for is making Gin.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          Next time you're in Chicago, I will put you to the test.

• boftx
          boftx commented
          Editing a comment
          Potkettleblack come on out to Vegas and you're on. Loser buys the meat, Scotch and cigars.

Sous Vide and BBQ don't even belong in the same sentence...PERIOD!

Comment

• badf00d
          badf00d commented
          Editing a comment
          @Nate... now we're talking. That's exactly the combination I like.

You guys need new lines. All this "real" BBQ business doesn't hold water...

• Koy Schoppe
          Koy Schoppe commented
          Editing a comment
          Nate that's exactly what I will be doing soon!

Sous vide + KBQ... To quote Teri Hatcher, "they are real, and they're spectacular!"

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          Gonna be testing some Q-Vide in the next week or so. But because I Q on the Genesis, it's not real Q to the stickburners. And yet, I predict deliciousness. And if it's a trade between purity and deliciousness, latter. Always latter.

I'm older than most of you and I love mixing Sous Vide and BBQ. Sometimes the bath tub puts my grill out of work entirely. I SV steakhouse Steakburgers and sear them in my cast iron skillet just because it's easier.👍

Comment

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          Guest ... SV'ed meat requires being seared at the end of the cook. Either on the grill, in a skillet or a blow torch.

If I SV pork butt for 24 hours and then rub it with BBBR or MMD and smoke it until I have good bark, not even you would know it was SV'ed.👍

• boftx
          boftx commented
          Editing a comment
          Breadhead you wanna prove it? (You gotta come to Vegas you know)

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          I come to Lost Wages once in a while. Someone has to make payments on those fancy dancy hotels you know. Next time I'll bring my Sous Vide circulator and you and I will have a cook off in your smoker.😆 If you have a Kamado by then I'll bake you some bread too.👍

Koy Schoppe - thanks for posting the link. Looks like a great way to make real good food.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here