Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Pork Shoulder cook HUGE success!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Pork Shoulder cook HUGE success!

First of all, Thanks Meathead - the book recipes were followed to a T and it was considered by all the absolute best BBQ they had ever had. The Crack N Cheese was also a big hit. I did have a few issues controlling the fire in my WSM even with the Pitmaster IQ 110 - about halfway through the cook, the fire took off on me, getting well up over 260 degrees from 225. I got it back under control and held it at 235 for the remainder of the cook. A 6.5 pound shoulder cooked for about 11 hours - DEEElicious! I dry brined for 18 hours prior and used the Memphis dust. Also made the Lexington Dip for the sauce - funny thing, with that on the table, nobody touched the Sweet Baby Rays sauce.....

CONGRATULATIOMS, and WAY TO GO!!

Comment

And I bet that will be the first of many great cooks - congrats.

Comment

Congrats mgcain12 .... Just think... if this was your first pork shoulder then chances are it is only going to get better from here.... happy Q'ing.

Comment

@mgmcain12 - I'm glad you've hit the ground running. It only gets better from here believe it or not! Kudos to you!

Comment

Hmmm without pics, teh success of teh cook, it is in doubt

Comment

• DWCowles
              DWCowles commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm with David Parrish on this

• boftx
              boftx commented
              Editing a comment
              Ditto. No pics, it didn't happen.

You hit a home run! Now the photos.....?

Comment

The book is the new bible. Valuable counter space around America has been sacrificed for a close up of MHs face. I speak to him when I am cooking and when I am having a bad day. He knows my deepest secrets... Congrats!!

Comment

mgcain12 I echo the call for pix. If there are no pix, it never happened. Also, 260ºF is not at all "out of control" for cooking a PB. Congrats on a highly successful first shoulder cook.

Comment

Congrats on that successful first PB cook, mgcain12 ! Sounds wonderful.

I echo Dewesq55 , smoking pork at 260-300 deg F is what I do all the time, and it turns out great. That said, you've got to smoke 'em where you like 'em.

So what's up for the next (successful) cook?

Kathryn

Comment

Congratulations! I'm glad it turned out well

Comment

that's the best feeling, isn't it?

Comment

I have always heard around here if no pics it didn't happen .​ Congrats on a great cook sounds like you are hooked!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here