Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Resting vs Holding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Resting vs Holding

I have always rested my brisket after pulling it from the smoker by putting in a faux camro. I read something today that called that holding rather than resting of the meat. This article recommended leaving it resting on the counter until it drops to 140-160 degrees internally and then put it in a camro to hold.

How have others done it? Do you rest in a camro or do you rest on the counter and then put it to a camro? If doing it that way, what temp to you let it rest too?

I hold my briskets but more times than not I call it resting.

If you have a cheap Select brisket and you let it chill at room temp then go to the Cambro there is a good chance you will have a nice disaster waiting for you in the form of really tough brisket.

High quality briskets such as Prime could chill some at room temp. The cheap Selects I cook need a very warm rest (called it rest again) for optimum results. And that is after taking to probe tenderness or 205-210 internal.

Comment

• Drbearsec
      Drbearsec commented
      Editing a comment
      I usually do choice or prime. This one is prime. Ok so you do what I've been doing which is the camro

All I've ever done is choice and preferably prime brisket but still they go in the Faux Cambro for at least 2 hours and up to 6. I believe it's still "cooking" in there so maybe it's neither holding or resting...

Comment

I always teach holding is the faux Cambro, holding implies work being done; whereas resting is letting it cool, no work being done.

Comment

• Drbearsec
        Drbearsec commented
        Editing a comment
        So do your rest your briskets? Or just hold them?

This site really took my brisket cooks to a new level. Not knowing about a faux cambro before I use it all the time now. I try to stay with choice briskets they stay on the cooker until PROBE TENDER then straight into the cambro. You can call it resting or holding, but I call it GOOD.
      Last edited by jharner; July 2, 2016, 09:08 PM.

Comment

• Drbearsec
        Drbearsec commented
        Editing a comment
        Wasn't sure. How much cooking was still getting done. Once in a while I get one that falls apart after the camro.

Drbearsec I hold mine. I don't 'rest' (room temp) meat unless I'm going straight to the fridge, then I'll room temp cool it, then fridge. Lately if I'm doing a brisket or pork butts on the kettle with SnS, when it's up to temp/tenderness, instead of a cooler faux cambro I will drop the kettle's temp to 160-170 and "hold" it that way, letting the kettle slowly drop further as the coals die. I do that about 2hrs for brisket. I call it the "power cambro". That eliminates the cooler step and takes advantage of the coals that are left in the kettle and the natural temp wane.

Comment

• Drbearsec
        Drbearsec commented
        Editing a comment
        Not a bad idea. Using my KBQ today so probably using the cooler. Ok then I'm sticking with my regular method and going to the cooler hold. Thinking of testing a 30 minute rest at Room temp while wrapped but we shall see

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        Very smart, Huskee .

Drbearsec , I don't like to let meat "rest" at room temp unless I've allowed for carryover cooking.

I hold my briskets when I wrap them, I hold my briskets when I walk them to the faux cambro. Then I let them rest until time to serve them up to serve us!

Comment

Rest steaks. Big cuts get holding.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here