Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suprise Chef at July 4th Cookout, first time BGE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suprise Chef at July 4th Cookout, first time BGE

So I was told I'm the chef at the family BBQ on July 4th, which is fine, but where we are having it only has a BGE and a gas grill. In-law's brother is letting us use his house and pool on the 4th while he us out of town. I have zero experience with a kamado cooker, and frankly, never really cared too much for them, for reasons that probably wouldn't make sense to you all.

Anyways, I can build a fire and figure out just about any cooker out there, but never had experience with a kamado. Pretty sure I'm going to over do the charcoal and the temp is going over 600 degrees, forcing me to grill the ribs or something.

I have a great technique for ribs on a gas grill if it boils down to that, but I only pull that out if the situation is dire.

Any tips on a blind first time BGE run for spare or baby back ribs? Should I opt for the idiot proof pork butt instead? I feel like I'm about to go play a round of golf with clubs that don't fit me or shoot a rifle I didn't sight in myself.

Call in sick. LOL

Comment

There is a ton (and growing) of excellent info that should help you from our local ceramic maestros here: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo.../kamado-cookes

Comment

• MBMorgan
        MBMorgan commented
        Editing a comment
        I'd probably have flunked 3rd grade if made to diagram that sentence ... ...

It's easy peazy... After you figure it out.😆

Do this...

1) Fill the firebox full.

2) Light a small fire dead center in the middle of the lump.

3) Let that small fire burn with the bottom vent wide open and the dome open for about 10 minutes.

4) Once your fire is established place a large chunk of wood right on top of it and let it burn for 3 or 4 minutes. While that is happening place more chunks in a circle around the one in the middle, 1 to 2 inches away from the one in the middle.

5) Install your heat deflector in the legs up position. Wrap it with aluminum foil to not mess up your Bro Inlaws clean cooker. Put in drip pan/pans. Put on your grate and close the dome.

6) Watch the thermometer in the dome. When it reads 230° close your bottom vent so it is only open about 1/4". Close your top vent so it's only open a sliver. Note: there is about a 30° difference in the dome temp and the cooking temp at the level of the grate. 255° dome thermometer temp means your cooking temp at the grate level is about 225°. Hopefully you have a Maverick or something else that you can monitor your actual cooking temp at the level of your ribs.

7) A soon as you have clean smoke put your ribs on the grate and close the dome. Leave the bottom vent alone for the rest of the cook. Make your temp adjustments with the top vent. After making small vent adjustment it takes about 10 minutes to get to the new setting, leave it alone. You want to cook at 225° to 240°. Leave the dome closed for at least the first 4 hours, don't get all peeky, peeky and lose your cooking temperature.

8) After 4 hours open the dome to look at how your racks are cooking. Check to see how much the meat has shrunk to expose the bones and peek to see how your bark is developing. Skinny ribs take about 5 hours 3 pound racks take 6 or 7 hours at those temps.

9) When you suspect your ribs are approaching doneness do the bend test with tongs. If the rack splits in the middle you're done.

10) Serve your relatives your ribs and shut up... While they go on and on about how fantastic your ribs turned out and what a great Pit Master you are.👍

That's how I would do it.😆
      Last edited by Breadhead; July 1, 2016, 03:07 PM.

Comment

• CeramicChef
        CeramicChef commented
        Editing a comment
        What Breadhead says! I would start closing down the vents earlier than 230F. I cook my ribs at 225F and I start closing down my vents about 175F. As a first timer, I'd tell you to slowly sneak up on your cook temp.

here's to a great cook and even better memories with family and friends!

• LA Pork Butt
        LA Pork Butt commented
        Editing a comment
        @RanchoSarvo @ Breadhead is correct. Plan on 12-16 hours for a butt or brisket. Baby backs in 5 hours and spare ribs in 6. HorseDoctor is correct, too. Plan to finish before you plan to serve and keep it warm in a faux cambro.

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        Guest ... If he starts closing down his vents when the dome thermometer reads 175° his cooking level temp will be at 145°. That is to early to close it down IMHO. If he starts closing it down when the dome temp is 230° the cooking temp is 200° and it will take time to get to 225°.
        Last edited by Breadhead; July 1, 2016, 10:24 PM.

Start early. It'll be great as long as you don't make the family wait....

Comment

I say do your ribs how you normally do, the day before. Take them there and reheat them on the gasser. Do the quick hot grilling items on the BGE. Win win!

Comment

Some folks here at work are planning department get together. My boss has a lake house and she said her hubby is into grilling too so I can use his BGE when we have our shindig. I may soon find myself in the exact same predicament as you! Funny how you posted this!

Comment

I would do the ribs on the gasser since that's how you know how to do them, and the pork butt on the BGE. Set the vents to about 1/2" open, dome thermo between 225 and 300 (grate temp will be a little bit lower, but that range will be fine for the butt, as you alluded to.)

Comment

All great advice! Thanks. I'm still not sure what I'm going to do, but at least I have a good starting point with the BGE. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Thanks again.

Comment

RanchoStarvo ...

The ribs and the pork butt are the same exact cook on the BGE. The ribs just finish sooner.

I would start the pork butt 18 hours before the time you want to serve it. Butts take me 14 to 16 hours on my BGE at 225°. I don't ever use the Texas crutch, I don't power through the stall.

If it finishes in 14 hours it gets 4 hours in the cambro. If it finishes in 16 hours it gets 2 hours in the cambro. You will serve dinner exactly when you told your guest you would.👍

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here