Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stove Top baking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stove Top baking

OK, this started waiting for the igniter to arrive but, fact is, I hate baking this time of year. it is just that heating the oven also means heating the house and in this heat, who needs THAT? the other might, HWMO and i wanted Pizza for dinner. so, I had a plan. and it worked but needs a few tweeks. assemble your pie, then, I took my round cast iron griddle and the lid to my cast iron dutch oven, put each on an eye and set them ablaze! Pizza needs to cook HOT so, I pulled them both to 500 degrees, then put on the pizza, put the lid on it and I had a decent pie. except the bottom was a skotch overdone. so, there are two options, here. lower the temp on the bottom pan or, keep the temp high but interrupt the contact between the bottom of the crust and the pan.

The good/cool part, though, is that anything you want to make/bake can be done stovetop with cast iron. just look to your campfire recipes for cast iron and translate them to stove top. I know I have made all sorts of breads outdoors in cast iron, why not indoors when the need arises. Most of the time, if I were baking something stovetop, I would just use the dutch oven but pizza needs intense heat on the top and it also needs to be removed from the cook flat. these are both tough orders for the dutch oven. that's why i went to griddle and lid. worked beautifully. and, since you can heat the cast iron much hotter than you would ever want to heat your oven, you get a far better pizza in the end.

I think next time I need to reheat a pizza, I will use this method but I will have the bottom griddle much cooler. let the heat come from the top. reheating pizza usually leaves me with lukewarm toppings unless I let it cook so much that the crust is hard as a rock or worse, burnt.

I know we all would also be happy to do this operation on the grill and I know a grill baked pizza is fantastic! but, here i sit on a friday afternoon, thinking about lunch for just me. Not about to fire up the grill to make pizza for one. it would take far longer and then I have charcoal still burning that I don't need or won't use. so, stovetop baking is great when you just want something fast or in small quantity.

What can you bake stovetop rather than oven to keep from heating up the house?

Nothing! That's why the wife makes me cook outside

Comment

• Storlok
      Storlok commented
      Editing a comment
      We have done simple cakes in the crock pot. They do pretty good.
      When I was a kid, we'd go camping often on lake Ouchita near Hot Springs, AR. We grew up with biskets for breakfast. Mom would make those on our Coleman stove in the cast iron skillet. They were always good.

well, I dialed in my Pizza. Heated the griddle to about 350 degrees and the dutch oven lid to about 500. put my personal pizza on the gridle and put on the lid, let sit for 5 minutes with the heat under the griddle on low. than, I took the lid off (it had fallen to about 300 degrees) and on the other eye to reheat. pulled it back to about 450 and replaced the lid over the pizza for another 2 minutes. and the pizza came off perfect. brown & crunchy on the bottom, melty & bubbly on top. it would have taken less time and he toppings be more browned if I wasn't so bad about piling up my pizza.

some folks take the crust and kind of wave a little tomato sauce & cheese in the general direction of the crust and call it pizza. then, there's me. I really should make mine in a deeper pan cause this is very nearly the deep pan Chicago style. Often, I make 'pizza' without crust at all, just pile the sauce & toppings into a baking dish, stir it up and sprinkle more cheese on top and bake. I tell myself I do that because it is more healthy. yeah, that's it.

Comment

I've been in small diners where they "bake" chicken on the griddle the way you describe. They do put a pot top on it to generate top heat. I don't remember, but they probably seared both sides as some point.
      Before I retired, I would occasionally bring a pizza home. I'd call my wife and have her turn the oven on with the Baking Steel on the bottom shelf. Sliding a still warm pizza in the hot oven on the steel would crisp up the bottom and bring the top up to a good temp.
      My all time favorite chix recipe is a combination of searing on the stove top, then baking in the oven. Just in case anyone is interested, here is a link to that recipe:

It's great as is, but I do add sliced mushrooms to the sauce.

Comment

• Harry
        Harry commented
        Editing a comment
        Done that seriouseats one. I agree

anything to avoid the oven this time of year! I've been thinking Chicken lately so, I may smoke one midweek and dress it with my Apricot salsa, which I LOVE with chicken.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here