Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Birthday Barbecue cook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Birthday Barbecue cook

It was my birthday last weekend, and I did a barbecue for a few of my friends.

I'm lucky to live in London and we have an increasing number of butchers who do US style cuts, or indeed import US meat.

I bought Tom Hixson's BBQ Box (http://www.tomhixson.co.uk/smokers-bbq-box.html)

It comes with:

USDA Choice Brisket
    Boston Butt
    2 x St Louis Ribs
    1 x Iberico Ribs

I also bought 36 Angel Hot Guts Sausages from my favourite butcher Turner & George. http://www.turnerandgeorge.co.uk/sau...-hot-guts.html

I rather brashly tried out briquettes rather than my usual lumpwood which has been burning rather hot in my smoker.

With some trepidation I trimmed the brisket. There didn't seem to be too much fat, I could definitely do with some feedback on how it looks and how you guys would have trimmed it. I just put salt & pepper on it. I'd never donr brisket before, so I wanted to keep it simple.

I lit the barbecue and put the brisket on at 7pm. I thought it would be a long cook, but it was done 7am the next day and I held it in an oven at 50c wrapped in foil until my guests arrived at 3pm. I didn't wrap at all during the cook. I used the minion method on my 22.5" WSM, and I had real trouble getting it up to temperature. With the lumpwood, I'm struggling to keep the temps below 275f, but with the briquettes the temperature stayed below 200f for most of the cook despite having all the vents open. The briquettes also created so much ash - I think it was that that kept the temperatures low.

Overall the brisket came out really nicely. I took it out at 196f and I had a lovely smoke ring and the meat was quite juicy. The point was especially good. The low temperature definitely didn't help the bark. It tasted good, but was rather soft.

I tried to stagger the meat, so I put the butt on at 11pm, and it was done at 11pm the next day. The ribs went in at 1pm and was ready at 5pm. The sausages got 1 1/2 hours and came off at 5pm too. I love these, they work so well when smoked.

I used Meathead's Memphis Dust on the Butt and Ribs, together with his KC sauce to go on everything.

I didn't get round to cooking the Iberico Ribs, as the wine was flowing and the barbecue was getting a bit cold.

My guests enjoyed the food, and most of them said that they would be prepared to contribute to the food next time. This meat was quite expensive, the box was £122, and the sausages another £14. That's probably about a buck and a half given the exchange rate at the moment!

I had about 25 guests, and they hoovered all the food. I could have made more I think.
    Last edited by Tibbsycue; June 28, 2016, 06:11 PM. Reason: Clicked post by mistake

Congrats on a successful cook. You brisket looks like it turned out really nice.

Comment

Very nicely done! Kudos to you. And belated Happy Birthday to you!

Comment

Happy Belated Birthday.... and congratulations as it appears you may well be on your way to designated PitMaster and Cook for future gatherings and parties.

Comment

Your results look fantastic! Well done, and happy belated birthday as well!

Comment

Tibbsycue, I'd Eat Your BBQ any Day! All I need is a Plane Ticket and an Invite! Congrats and Happy Birthday a Bit Late!
            👍🎂🎂👍🎂🎂👍
            Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Belated Happy Birthday! And that brisket looks divine!

Comment

Wow, Tibbsycue , I want to get on your guest list. The brisket and pork look marvelous, and I bet the ribs and sausages were just as good. You really worked that WSM and it looks as though it didn't let you down. Congrats!

Kathryn

Comment

Great cook. Did a great job. I really really really want to see the Iberico ribs... don't wait too long on doing those.

Comment

• BriggsBBQ
                    BriggsBBQ commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I thought the same thing. I was thinking this guys thinks he is lucky getting US cuts I wish I could get my hands on those Iberico ribs.

I did the Iberico ribs last night and they were a bit disappointing. The flavour is a bit odd.

I'll post a picture up - there wasn't much meat on them and a lot of shiners.

I'll stick with the St Louis ribs I think.

Comment

Here they are. They have a very distinct flavour which I'm not sure I like.

The meat is quite sweet, so I think I need a more savoury rub.

Comment

• BriggsBBQ
                      BriggsBBQ commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I am by no means an expert but I think the Iberico ribs are leaner and therefore not a juicy. Leaner because those hogs are on a pure acorn diet.

Thanks. Something I think would be very hard to get here in the US. I think I'd sauce with something like a Romesco, under the grows together goes together.

Comment

Looks great Tibbsycue and happy belated birthday

Comment

Tibbsycue Your trim in my book looks pretty spot on. Sometimes you get a patch or two. I sometimes trim extra off of my flat that gets put in some beans to help the flat cook to the same temp at the same time as the point. Also I cook my brisket a bit further to get to 200-203F. Also if I see the temp of the flat way different than my point at 175+ then I will wrap just the flat to slow it's heat rise down. Depending on the airflow of your smoker you might need to wrap once the bark has set or at the desired level. All this is what I do and a lot of people do a lot of different stuff. Glad there's folks on the other side of the pond smokin it up.

Comment

that's awesome! you seem like you had a great birthday!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here