Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket advice soughte

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket advice soughte

Over the 4th I am cooking a 17 pound prime-grade packer. My first question is regarding technique. I'll be "Up North" so the only cooker I'll have at my disposal is the 14.5 WSM. Last summer I cooked a 13 pound choice packer in it and it turned out great. I basically had to separate the point from the flat and use both grates. I now have 2 Mavericks so this will be easier as I can monitor both pieces of meat simultaneously. In the interest of saving time I plan on letting both pieces sit in the stall for a while until I cement some really good bark and then I'll wrap.

My first question is: Do prime briskets cook differently than choice briskets?

My second question is far more open: Any recommendations as to how it should be served and what I should accompany it with? I definitely do not want to do sandwiches (leftovers - of course).
    Should I treat it like a roast and have mashed potatoes and gravy with it?
    Should I treat it like a steak and have a couple of veggie dishes and a starch with it?

I appreciate any feedback I get on this.

It's brisket. Google "sides for brisket" for a ton of good suggestions. And enjoy!

Comment

I am a "newbie" to the site so far be it for me to "sound off" on brisket. Having said that, I had a pretty successful long low/slow cook this weekend - both brisket & ribs - using 2 weber kettles (performer + OT Silver). Could of done a better job at managing fire. Friend had the weber charcoal baskets and my feeling is that the charcoal rails might be better to allow for a little more fuel and to allow the coals to get better exposure to air. (Any thoughts would greatly appreciated.)

Regarding sides, a good friend, chef/CIA grad, who's opinion I always value commented that he felt the meal was integrated - that is the sides complimented the protein.
      I did:
      - potato salad (used sazon - which i use a lot). gives great color/flavor. (balanced use of mayo + apple cider vinegar, celery, red onion, parsley)
      - grilled portobellos drizzled with some white truffle oil
      - veg giambotta (grilled eggp's, zucc's, yellow pepps + raw red onion, cherry tomatoes, lots of parsley, EVOO + RWVinger)
      - had a bunch of corn that I grilled off, removed from husk, hit with one of the standard seasoned salts (can't remember) and butter
      I attached a pic. It's not really that great.

My 2c's is that since you have a long cook and sounds like you are cooking for a lot of folk I would pick "make-ahead" sides that you can prepare in advance and that only get better after day in fridge. For me personally, a good bbq day is having both success at the "smoker" and efficient project management so that you get to enjoy the party as much as your family and friends do. Afterall you will have earned it. Good luck with your cook.

Click image for larger version

Name:	At Stars House 06 27 2016.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	186751

Comment

In my limited experience Wagyu and Prime seemed to take about 12hrs for me, 10 on the smoker and 2 in the faux cambro. It did seem to be quicker than the last time I did a lesser grade, but back then I didn't write down my timing. Also separating will help, since in my experience the point takes longer. You'll probably be able to pull the flat earlier, but I'd say your point will need at least 10hrs on heat plus cambro time. YMMV.

Comment

To quote a bunch of famous pit masters, "brisket's done when it's done". Give yourself lots of time. The faux cambro will is very forgiving. An hour in it or 6+ hours. It's all good.

Sides? It BBQ, so you can't go wrong with slaw, potato salad, beans & a dill pickle... after all,who is the star of the show anyway?

Have fun & enjoy!

Comment

• GadjetGriller
            GadjetGriller commented
            Editing a comment
            Exactly right HorseDoctor! I was gonna say Treat it like BBQ! you wrote was I was going to! so now I dont have too!!

HorseDoctor ... +1^ right on Doc. When smoking big clods of meet for a large group of people I start the cook very early because I know the cambro is my friend. I cook at 225°, I never crutch, I plan for a double stall. Most of my briskets take 14 to 16 hours. I decide what time I want to serve it and start the cook 18 hours before I want to serve it. Sometimes it gets 2 hours in the cambro, sometimes it gets 4 hours. I ALWAYS serve it EXACTLY on time.👍

Comment

I love it! I was regarding brisket as 'different' and the cumulative response is: Nope!

Treat it like any other BBQ!

That makes things easy.

I really appreciate all of the feedback thus far and welcome more.

Thank you all.

Comment

• Breadhead
              Breadhead commented
              Editing a comment
              A brisket cook is the same as a pork butt cook. You're going to do well. Don't sweat it.

• JeffJ
              JeffJ commented
              Editing a comment
              It's funny you say that. I am leaving the WSM up there and will cook port butt over the weekend of July 23...our local grocery store had it on sale for $0.99/pound. I bought 2 8 pound butts and will be cooking one of them that weekend. :-)

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here