Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Burnt Offering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Burnt Offering

I've never done it....but on a whim, I'm going to try it for this evening's pork tenderloin cook. The only thing I have on hand to tickle the taste buds is thick sliced bacon (sacrilege perhaps, shameful...no ). Good choice or run to the store for some cheap, fatty burger?

Bacon trumps fatty burger hands down every time . My humble 2 cents .

Comment

Bacon burgers?

Comment

Heheheheeee...I might have to skip the tenderloin then

Comment

Guess I missed the question.

Comment

• HorseDoctor
            HorseDoctor commented
            Editing a comment
            Me too, or at least I didn't understand what it was????

To clarify, this is my question regarding a burnt offering:

Use thick cut bacon that I have on hand or go to the store for some burger? From the AR web page: Try a burnt offering

Meat drippings incinerate when they fall onto hot flavor bars, ceramics, or lava rocks, and they create flavor molecules that land on the meat and can really add character. So try putting a hamburger, or some meat trimmings, or even fat trimmings above the hot flames as a burnt offering. They will burn to a crisp, and they may cause flareups, but your meat is on the other side so it won't burn. They may also cause a rise in temp, so you may need to compensate by turning down the gas.

I'm not using a gasser for this cook and I would normally use a bit of apple or cherry wood for some light wood smoke in my kettle. The burnt offering would/should provide a unique flavor to the meat being cooked indirect.

Comment

Epilogue: the daughter loved the bacon burnt offering smoke kiss on the pork tenderloin (MH's sweet n' sour pork tenderloin recipe). Me...not so much. It was OK but I much prefer a light wood smoke or no smoke at all on the tenderloin. With lots of Mumbo sauce on hand, wings are on deck for tomorrow.

Comment

I thought pizza was the only thing I could eat day in and day out. Wings and pizza....

Comment

Great suggestion...but now I have to buy a pizza stone before dinner time

Comment

Mumbo wings...are F-R-E-A-K-I-N-G awesome! No time to find a pizza stone today Jerod I used the Susie Q seasoning rub recipe (with extra pepper and garlic)...nekkid they are delicious....mumbo'd....for get about it! My daughter looked at my plate of bones and commented "Dad...really?"

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here