Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bite-thru Skin on Chicken Thighs: NEED HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bite-thru Skin on Chicken Thighs: NEED HELP!

Out of all the meats in our delightful BBQ world, chicken thighs give me the most trouble because of the skin. Please share thoughts on how you get that bite thru skin on chicken thighs!

Question. Are you cooking for competition or other thing?

Comment

I'd bet so. Most comp cooks do obsess over chicken skin. Here's what I do KosherBaconitesBBQ! Cook your thighs and allow 20-30 minutes rest time in a hot cambro (at a comp that shouldn't be a problem if you're resting your butts and brisket in the cambro). Dip the thighs in sauce (once) and put in a deep aluminum pan. Seal that pan tightly and put in the cambro. 20-30 minutes later prick the skin with a toothpick to test tenderness. It should feel like softened butter. Touch up the sauce if necessary. Use corn on the cob holders to grab each end of the thigh to put in the box.

Comment

• Jon Solberg
        Jon Solberg commented
        Editing a comment
        BTW. I can't thank you enough for this trick. I owe you big time. : )

• CandySueQ
        CandySueQ commented
        Editing a comment
        I hope so! Win big!!! I hated cooking in a butter bath or scraping chicken skin. Butter bath makes sauce slide off! This works for ANY chicken, thighs, legs, chicken quarters.

While dry brining, leave them uncovered in the fridge for 24 hours and cook at high heat, I usually cook at over 400 for thighs.

Comment

Not necessarily for competition, although I do compete. I just smoked chicken this past weekend and the skin was rubbery, but the meat was perfect (in my opinion). Thanks for the advice CandySue! Any opinions if I don't want to sauce them?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here