Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Making bacon and aging brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making bacon and aging brisket

Quick run into Costco yielded a 12 lb prime brisket and a 10 lb pork belly. All for 60 bucks total! Love me some Costco.
    Questions: I am 0-2 on finding Prague powder. Any ideas on who might carry it. Haven't made it to HEB yet. Hoping they have it.
    On the brisket. I wanted to dry wet aging it. Do I just keep it in cryovac? How long can I keep it this way?
    Thanks!

@Koy Shoppe I buy mine on Amazon. Nice score from Costco!!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by HouseHomey; June 18, 2016, 03:56 AM. Reason: Ooops

Comment

Leave in the cryovac in a refrigerator that isn't opened much and you could 40-50 days from packaging date at processor. You may have to ask them to check the date on the case. The packaging date Costco puts on has been about 2 weeks after from my experience.

Comment

Outdoor store might have the Prague. I get mine from Amazon. Make sure it is #1.

Comment

Bass Pro Shops stocks it in their Orlando store, they call it LEM meat cure, but its the same thing . . . 6.25% sodium nitrite and the rest regular salt.

Comment

Your local Academy store should have prague powder #1. I know that the Academy stores in Sugar Land and Missouri City both carry it.

Comment

• Koy Schoppe
              Koy Schoppe commented
              Editing a comment
              Awesome! I was gonna swing in academy tonight.

Dick's Sporting Goods and Bass Pro Shops usually carry it. That said, I ordered mine from Amazon.

Comment

Found pink curing salt. Based on my research it is the same as PP1. 4 pounds of maple bacon curing away. Will report back next weekend I guess on how it turned out.
              Now I have 6 lbs of pork belly to throw on the KBQ tomorrow. Ernest Spinaker y'all ever done one? Tips if you have?

Comment

Koy Schoppe HEB does carry Prague, if not, get some from Amazon.
                I've done bacon using Meathead recipe from the main site, smoked on the PBC a while ago.

I've done regular belly on the KBQ plenty of times. It actually beats bacon and that's why I haven't bothered with actual bacon.
                225 all the way to probe tender
                Last edited by Ernest; June 18, 2016, 02:27 PM.

Comment

• Koy Schoppe
                  Koy Schoppe commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Any thoughts on timing for a 6 lb'r?

• Ernest
                  Ernest commented
                  Editing a comment
                  About the same as ribs. Start checking at 3 hour mark.

• Spinaker
                  Spinaker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I second that. Koy Schoppe

I'm thinking "probe tender" might be your goal if you want to eat it right away. If you want "bacon" that you can slice and re-cook later, then just smoke it to 150-160F. and that won't take anywhere near 6 hours. Enjoy!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here