Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Duck Fat & Smoke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Duck Fat & Smoke

A few months ago, I smoked/cooked my first duck on my PBC and it turned out fantastic but I was overwhelmed (in a good way) by the amount of "delicious" smoke that the duck fat on the coals was producing especially as the cook went on. I'm thinking of doing some competitions and my buddy and I were brainstorming not only a game plan based on what we know is classic, quality bbq but what could differentiate us. Any thoughts on what adding a duck to a PBC would do to the moisture and smoke and flavour of the pork or beef in the cooker? I wonder if would add another, even slight differentiator in the flavour profile. Obviously, I can just give it a test run, but I wondered if anyone had given this idea a shot. Thanks.

I think it would act like a heat sink like the water pan but I do not think it would add noticeable flavor to other meat. But you would have a duck to eat.

Comment

Good point Aaron....having delicious duck to eat cannot be underrated of course! :-)

Comment

Collecting rendered duck fat and coating finished meats with it would be good.

Comment

Usually, the more crowded to cooker the better the meat.

But differentiating is a problem. Sometimes it can be good, making you stand out. Other times it can be bad, making you seem odd or off. Judges seem to be looking for a certain profile and usually creativity is not well received. Too bad.

Comment

• Craigar
            Craigar commented
            Editing a comment
            Meathead and CeramicChef how does one have half of an idea of what the specific flavor profile the judges are looking for?

• CeramicChef
            CeramicChef commented
            Editing a comment
            I've talked to Judges. Lately there seems to be a real trend toward sweet. I've also talked to competition winners; their sauces are quite sweet. As a contestant you really have only 1 or 2 bites to get the Judges attention. Human breast milk is quite sweet and our taste for sweets don't change.

• Nate
            Nate commented
            Editing a comment
            Craigar , In the Harry Soo video on here he mentions how flavor profiles change and you kind of have to keep track of the trends. He mentions something along the lines of at one time if you had a Chipotle flavor it got you called. It is interesting to hear him talk about sauces and how it varies.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here