Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reverse smoked pork butt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reverse smoked pork butt

I have a BBQ coming up in a few weeks. I will be cooking ribs and pork butts. I normally start the butts the night before and get a good 5 to 6 hours of smoke, then wrap and put in the electric smoker over night at 225f. I would like to do it different this time... 8 hrs in the electric over night and then finish off in the wood burner while cooking the ribs.
    Has any one tried this, or can you think of a reason it would not work?

There is a lot more smoke adhesion early in the cook as opposed to later in the cook. I've had ribs in the smoker for about 25 minutes and due to disaster have to move them to the oven and still have smoker flavor and smoke ring. Smoke ring just for show but still funny to have after only 25 minutes.

If the electric does a good enough job I don't think it really matters what you finish it on, unless maybe you spritz it a little right before you throw it on the wood burner.

Welcome to the forum! I have 4 briskets to cook for the 25th, I too am planning hoping I don't have to work that Saturday.

Comment

• rat88
      rat88 commented
      Editing a comment
      Its a lowend Masterbuilt with a sloppy thermostat. It swings 30 to 40 degrees. It is good enough to keep wrapped meat cooking all night, but that is about all it is good for

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      I'd do a quick hot wood pre-cook if possible on the butt. Just 2-3 hours and then wrap it and let it roll over night. I had to do some quick pre-cooks like that on 50 pounds of butts not too long ago.

• rat88
      rat88 commented
      Editing a comment
      the reason I wanted to start it in the electric was to get the "done" time alittle closer to "eat" time so I dont have to keep it warm all day or let it cool, throw in the fridge for a few hours then bring it back out to warm it up

Welcome rat88

Comment

what's the minimum temp on the electric? If you wrap it and hold it at a temp below the finished cook temp, it should be ok. Many here will hold for hours at a lower temp.

Comment

• rat88
        rat88 commented
        Editing a comment
        It will go pretty low. 225 is around 75% range. I wasnt sure if it was a good idea to set the t-stat to around 150 and cook it like that all night. it could get dry and being at room temp(+/- 20) for 8 hours probably isnt a good thing either.

For what it's worth I've kept butts/shoulder wrapped in the faux cambro for several hours and then opened them and pulled them right before meal time and it was great. Did this because I was taking it to work. People raved about it.

While not as good I've also done a short cook with 3 hours on smoker and the rest in a roasting pan the day before, pulled it and then put it in the fridge.

I added some of the juice from the roasting pan to the meat when it went in to the fridge and it sat overnight. Next day I put it in the crock pot with some butter and it really tasted good. There is a set of steps here for this option on the site. When I find the page I will link it here.

Good think is pulled is fairly forgiving so these all gave worked well for me and I'm far from an expert.

Comment

The "fast method" as it is called on the page is in the pulled pork recipe page here.
        This easy pulled pork recipe skips the slow cooker to create authentic low-and-slow smoked pulled pork on a smoker or grill. With smoke woven through the moist meat, bits of seasoned crust, and a gentle splash of BBQ sauce, pulled pork is perfect for your next backyard cookout.

It's a good way down. I did three hours on the smoker (think I went low on the pellet smoker to get more smoke) and then only took 2 more hours for me to get to 203.

For the reheat the next day here is the guide. http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_tech..._tomorrow.html

I did my re-heat with a crock pot with adding butter to the pulled pork. Wasn't as good as holding the pork wrapped for several hours and then pulling, but made it so much easier.
        Last edited by Butterman; June 13, 2016, 08:53 AM. Reason: Fixed link

Comment

• rat88
          rat88 commented
          Editing a comment
          Not sure if you are just screwing with the new guy, but everytime I click on the link to your "fast method" ..it takes me back to the top of this page.

Welcome to The Pit rat88! It's great to have you here. Thank you for your support.

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members. It contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list in case you are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner!

See you around The Pit!

Comment

• Danjohnston949
          Danjohnston949 commented
          Editing a comment
          fuzzydaddy, Been a Moderator for three full days Now and Giving Orders Like Huskee? 😚😇😚
          From Fargo ND, Dan

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Danjohnston949 How do you know I didn't order him to do that?? Lol

rat88, Welcome to The Pit! You are Now Enrolled in the BBQ Univ! Attendance is Mandatory!
        Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

rat88, I updated the link above. Not messing with you, just a bad link on my part.

Comment

I found it ,Thanks. That was the method I was gonna try. I have several smokers, so I think I will start the ribs and butts on the big one at 225 then move the butts to a smaller one and crank the heat up to 350. I will still have a grill as backup if it doesnt look like it will get done at the right time.

Comment

Gonna try the 8hr fast cook butts tomorrow. Putting them on 10 hrs before eat time just incase. I will get some pics of the smokers, tools of the trade, finished product and whatnot.

Comment

5hrs in and the butts are running around 175. I started them on the big smoker at 8am and the ribs at 10. Moved them to the warthog at 11.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here