Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Full-On Experiment Mode Week, Plus 2 Pallets of Charcoal & #BBQFiretruck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Full-On Experiment Mode Week, Plus 2 Pallets of Charcoal & #BBQFiretruck

I went to California a couple of weeks ago, part vacation with my beautiful bride, then a management conference with some cool friends I've made in the laundry biz, and suffering at Ojai Resort and Spa, ridding a a buddies Ferrari and other ordinary stuff like that.

Now I'm back at work for a week, so the 1st wave of rush to catch up is over.

Now here are the current circumstances:

1. My awesome wife and the 2 oldest daughters have just left for High School Church Camp for 5 days.
    2. That leaves me with the 13 year old twin girls, who are super fun and are up for cooking with Daddy.
    3. It's really pretty outside, albeit it is now feeling like Summer outside (Did I mention that I didn't have a single, solitary bead of sweat in 9 days in California? I can see how people can get used to that Mediterranean climate!)
    4. Everybody and their brother has awesome meat on sale!!!!!

> Brisket, Choice, for $1.79 a pound at Kroger, IBP. Excel at Walmart for $1.89, also Choice. I brought home 3 more.
    > Choice Beef Back Ribs $1.99 a pound at Albertson's. They are on the WSM now with 3BR.
    > St. Louis and Baby Back Ribs for $1.79 at Kroger, and nearly the same at Wally, and $1.99 at Albertson's. Yep, I got more, and haven't been to Albertson's yet.
    > Kroger had Beef Short Ribs, $5.49. I LOVE BEEF SHORT RIBS! These are the cut pieces, and are also awesome!
    > Twins want some fish, so one of the 3 stores I've been to already today at Steelhead Trout, $7.99 a pound, so we've got that
    > Oh, and The Food Lab Book is coaching us on Crispy Roasted Potatos, so that's what's going on with the Trout and Back Ribs for tonight.

5. Sometimes my cooking sort of pushes the house schedule around a bit. My twins are super-flexible, so I'm going to push full speed in doing a bunch of cooking, and doing some side by side tests, to satisfy my curiosity.

You know, stuff like:

A. Comparing No Brine, 24 Hour Dry Brine, 48 Hour Dry Brine on Brisket

B. Compare, Injection vs. Dry Brine.

C. Compare Brands of Ribs Side-By-Side.

D. And more, you'll just have to stay tuned.

OH, and I almost forgot...Home Depot has 2 Big Bags of Kingsford on sale for $10! #WhoDat1, my big insulated cabinet, uses a lot of charcoal for a long cook, so I went by and picked up a few bags on sale...
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9161.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	179.0 KB
ID:	173102

So if you were wondering, Yes, they will sell you a couple of pallets of charcoal. 48 bags per pallet. That should last me a couple of months.

First food pic of the testing spree: Beef Back Ribs, 4 hours in

Name:	IMG_9160.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	294.6 KB
ID:	173103

#SuperFun

Good to see you back at it, PaulstheRibList ! Hoping all is back to normal after the accident! Was glad to read that you stocked up for whodat - mean it was not wrecked!

Looking forward to the rest of your pics and write-ups!

Comment

I need to do some more back ribs. They had some Choice at wollyworld the other day.

Comment

Sounds like fun times ahead.

Comment

But first, time for our 2nd Meal from The Food Lab. Steelhead Trout, perfectly pan fried from Kenji's technique, these rockin Roasted Potatoes also from The Food Lab, and a wonderful reduction sauce for fish from our Chopped book.

Name:	IMG_9165.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	152.6 KB
ID:	173195

Name:	IMG_9164.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	157.5 KB
ID:	173196

Name:	IMG_9170.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	178.1 KB
ID:	173197

Name:	IMG_9174.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	167.6 KB
ID:	173194

Name:	IMG_9175.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	200.4 KB
ID:	173199
          Attached Files

Comment

• choffert
            choffert commented
            Editing a comment
            If not a shotgun guy, a shovel and a big bag of lime also sends a message...;-)

• PaulstheRibList
            PaulstheRibList commented
            Editing a comment
            Well.... Thank you; They are wonderful young ladies!

I did just get another cool tactical shotgun, and that is an intimating sound when you chamber a round. But I just want them to know how valuable they are to God so they won't go all gogo when the first dufus makes their heart all fluttery.

• PaulstheRibList
            PaulstheRibList commented
            Editing a comment
            And I'll keep the arms nearby.

Tonight, a slightly overcooked brisket (took the Twins to lunch after church, and it was great, but I probably should have stopped by the house first and pulled the brisket). It was 210 when I pulled, so a little dry in the flat.

No worries, we made Grits a Ya Ya from Chef Jim Shirley. Lots of Smoke Gouda, cream, and massive yummyeness.

And, the Huge slices of Point, which were still great, for the enjoyment!

Welcome to Day 2 of #DaddyDaughterCookingFunSperiment

Name:	IMG_9189.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	162.4 KB
ID:	173729

Name:	IMG_9190.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	173728

Name:	IMG_9194.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	175.3 KB
ID:	173727

Name:	IMG_9197.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	173726

Comment

Tonight, Day 3 of #DaddyDaughterCookingFun

We went old school. Had ground meat left, so Burgers It Is!

I got a new Weber Kettle for when it's a small cook and no veggies to grill. (I use the huge GrillMeister when there are veggies involved - all that real estate and the adjustable charcoal tray makes things much easier.)

So:

> 8 oz burger for me (6 oz for the twins)
            > The house made hamburger buns from Albertsons are my FAVORITE! Super tender bread, and with a little butter and the griddle - Wow! The crunch is wonderful!
            > Super-Crispy Roasted Potatoes from @TheFoodLab, take 2. Our first batch, we over cooked them in the boiling pot, so tonight we got it a little better. THey are great!!!! Oh, and the girlies did the knife work on the potatoes and the herbs!
            > Beef Rib Thin Slices, cooked on the grill along with the burgers to 140. OK, they needed a lower and slower approach, or much thinner slices. The ones in the pic were tasty, but not that tender. So I folded them in foil, back in the oven for a while, and then they were tender and awesome!
            > Tomorrow, more Smoking of the Ribs and Brisket! I have a few experiments to do!

Name:	13321638_10154195451922008_8543924316473004962_n.jpg?oh=5b04d4aaa6c704d6270eb126d85dcc89&oe=57E155F4.jpeg
Views:	91
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	174252

Comment

You're living the good life, Paul, with a beautiful family. There's no greater treasure than that.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here