Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Heading To Alaska in a few weeks......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heading To Alaska in a few weeks......

I am heading to the Great Great north woods just after the fourth of July. We are going to be doing a float trip down the Alagnak river. We will be fly fishing for primarily Sockeye Salmon. So my question is, what should I bring for a salmon rub? We are going to be eating fish right out of the river for every meal. (hopefully) I was curious if anyone had special Salmon seasoning that I could mix up and bring with. I am looking to bring two or three seasonings for salmon just to mix things up. Any recipes would be helpful. Thank You!!!
    Click image for larger version  Name:	images-4.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	15.9 KB ID:	172113

Although, the way I fly fish , I imagine I will be doing this most of the time, only with line and flies hooked all over me. Hahaha

You just need non-slip gloves to pull the fish out the bears' mouths. The fish will already have somewhat of a berry rub applied.

Comment

Johnny's Lemon Dill Seasoning is a great place to start. Rub With Luv Salmon is another great one. Both very popular in the Pacific NW, easy to find and easy to pack. If you really want to make your own, "knock off" recipes are available for both on line. Enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by HorseDoctor View Post
        Johnny's Lemon Dill Seasoning is a great place to start. Rub With Luv Salmon is another great one. Both very popular in the Pacific NW, easy to find and easy to pack. If you really want to make your own, "knock off" recipes are available for both on line. Enjoy!
        Cool man! Thanks!

Comment

• HorseDoctor
          HorseDoctor commented
          Editing a comment
          No problem. Will be up in SE Alska the end of summer for my annual "fill the freezer with silvers & halibut trip". Can't wait!

Never tried it myself, but this looks like it might be good: http://amazingribs.com/recipes/rubs_.../fish_rub.html

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks, I dropped a line to Meathead to see what he thinks about this one on Salmon. The article mentions any fish, so I sure it would work.

My favorite is actually a sauce/marinade ... and is therefore liquid which could be a problem ... but here it is anyway:

Makes enough for a couple of typical silvers or half of a really big king ... so scale accordingly.

1/2 cup EVOO
        1/4 cup soy sauce
        1/8 cup fresh lemon juice (about a medium lemon's worth)
        1/2 tsp dried dill weed
        healthy pinch of dried cloves

Whisk to emulsify and soak salmon fillets in it for about 20 - 30 minutes

Grill fillets skin side down then when about done, slide spatula between skin and meat to separate. I generally leave the skin on the grill to burn completely to ash so I don't have to deal with disposal.

I'm trying to remember where the recipe originated ... thinking it might be a really old Frugal Gourmet book.

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Cool, Thanks!! This one sounds very promising.

Have one for me!
        Last edited by Powersmoke_80; May 25, 2016, 08:22 PM.

Comment

Good luck with fly fishing for salmon ! What normally happens is it's a standoff between you ad the fish. It will not budge and slowly chew through the leader and escape but it's still a lot of fun

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            I've heard it's a battle every time. I can't wait.

Awesome, I'm really jealous and looking forward to pics.

Comment

As far as rubs go, one of our Alaska favs is just salt, pepper, garlic, and lemon zest or juice. The Alagnak system is a very cool place, but I target the rainbows and grayling. You'll get plenty of salmon, and hook some very hard fighting fish, compared to salmon. The times I fished the Alagnak, 20-28 inch rainbows were common. I didn't really keep track of all the silvers caught, as we lost count soon into the trip. I've had many trips like this across Alaska, some of the best are near to where I live. I won't say exactly where, but one can drive to the access points easily, float fish, and be home for dinner. Bring an extra rod. Really.. Our backcountry eats up gear fast.

Comment

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Strat!!! I always love insider fishing. I cant wait to get up there. I've got three rods I am bring up with me. 10 and two 8's. Strat50

I grew up in Washington where Johnny's is a staple. I have a daughter that lives in North Pole, AK so we have been up a few times. I do not care for the sweet marinade/glaze they use on the outdoor pits up there for Salmon. Recently my wife and I spent a weekend up in Asheville, NC and wandered into the Spice and Tea Company. Their Northwest Salmon Rub is outstanding and I recommend you order some for your trip. Personally I would bring about 4 rubs with me so I could sample 'em all. HAVE A GREAT TRIP!
            Influenced by Seattle and Asian style flavors enhanced with smoked salt, this gourmet-style rub is perfect for salmon. Simply add to fish before cooking.

Comment

#Jealous! My dad and I have talked about taking an Alaska trip. Neither of us fly, so from MI that's quite a lot of driving, not sure it'll ever happen but it's a dream. I would mix up a salt/pepper/garlic/onion powder blend in proper ratios in a shaker myself, light on the garlic and even lighter on the onion, maybe a spoonful of Herbs de Provence mixed in for good measure......but you can't go wrong with plain salt & pepper either. Wow, how wonderful that will be to catch and eat a couple fresh caught salmon shore lunches! Will you be packing, to fend off hungry bears?

Comment

• Strat50
                Strat50 commented
                Editing a comment
                The guides take care of the bear protection. As far as driving here, you can do it in a few days easily. My family and I have made frequent"banzai" runs from Alaska to northern Wis. and Mich. 3 days is the average. Beautiful drive, anytime of year.

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks Husk. No As Strat said, the guides are taking care of bear protection. Although a few of them might mistake me for one!!
                I'm gonna check out that herbs de Provence.

We eat quite a bit of salmon. I often put MMD or BBBR or Lemon Pepper on it. IMO lots of seasonings work with salmon just don't over do it. Have a great time! If you need a place to ship it back to, there's room in our freezer--just trying to be helpful.

Comment

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                Hahaha, Blue earth ain't that far!

Spinaker, You will need a 44 Mag Revolver, a 12 Ga Shotgun with Slugs, Extra Ammo, a Pound of Black Pepper, a Gallon of Mayonase, 2 Sacks of Lemons (1-Ripe,1-Green) and a 1/2 Pound of that Dill Weed Powder! You will need at least 3 Bundles of Cedar Shingles to Smoke your Salmon on! You will need a Double Bitted Axe to cut wood for your Cook Fire! Also will work on an Alaskan Brown Bear if your Guns Misfire! You need a Large Ruck Sack that will Hold all of the Above plus Bug Spray and 1-Clean Underwear(Opt.)! I don't know where in the Hell your Fly Rod, Flys and Landing Net will fit? This is just a rudimentary list, Have you considered Staying Home and just buying your Salmon? 😙🤔😇😙😉 Have Fun!
              These are the Good Old Days! From Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                Lol

Originally posted by Danjohnston949 View Post
              Spinaker, You will need a 44 Mag Revolver, a 12 Ga Shotgun with Slugs, Extra Ammo, a Pound of Black Pepper, a Gallon of Mayonase, 2 Sacks of Lemons (1-Ripe,1-Green) and a 1/2 Pound of that Dill Weed Powder! You will need at least 3 Bundles of Cedar Shingles to Smoke your Salmon on! You will need a Double Bitted Axe to cut wood for your Cook Fire! Also will work on an Alaskan Brown Bear if your Guns Misfire! You need a Large Ruck Sack that will Hold all of the Above plus Bug Spray and 1-Clean Underwear(Opt.)! I don't know where in the Hell your Fly Rod, Flys and Landing Net will fit? This is just a rudimentary list, Have you considered Staying Home and just buying your Salmon? 😙🤔😇😙😉 Have Fun!
              These are the Good Old Days! From Fargo ND, Dan
              HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Your are unreal man. Please, don't ever change. I have the .44 mag covered. But I don't know if old sweetness will be making the trip. Thanks for the laugh though. I know I can always count on you for that.
              LOL!!!

Comment

• Danjohnston949
                Danjohnston949 commented
                Editing a comment
                Why Hell Spin, Shoot the Bear First you can Use the Bear Fat to Cook Your Salmon! 👍🍻😇🍻👍.
                From Fargo ND, Dan

• MBMorgan
                MBMorgan commented
                Editing a comment
                I always carried a .44 mag Redhawk when fly fishing back home in AK. I was told once that you really don't need more than a .22 ... to shoot your partner in the leg in the event of bear trouble

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here