Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pizza on a Weber???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pizza on a Weber???

I am going to try to make a couple of pizzas on the new WCS Friday evening. Any tips on charcoal placement? I have burnt a few pies😞. I am thinking of getting the fire very hot either in a big ring on the outside of the stone or very hot one the lower portion of the WCS. Chime in even if you have a ceramic cooker. Thanks...

My personal suggestion would be....

1) place the charcoal baskets you got with your kettle Low in the kettle

2) use your standard grate... Lay a heat deflector over it.

3) place another grate on top of the standard grate to elevate your pizza stone as high up in the lid/dome as you can get it.

4) preheat all parts mentioned before transferring your dough on to your pizza stone. Use lots of briquettes because it will take 35/45 minutes to get your pizza stone hot enough to cook on. Use an IFR thermometer to track the heat of your stone.

5) when your kettle is as hot as you can get it... 500°/600°/700° put you pizza on.

6) Use parchment paper on your pizza peel to make it easy to transfer to the stone. Plus if you have a hot spot and one side is browning faster than the other, you can rotate it easier.

7) depending how hot you can get your kettle... It will take 5 to 10 minutes to cook a pizza.

*The heat deflector is critical at high temps or... You will burn the bottom of your dough.
    *If you're able to cook at 700°/800°... Use "00" type flour. It won't brown as fast and get ugly.

Just my opinion.😎

This is my setup for baking pizza on my BGE. I also have a 26" Weber kettle, but I've never baked a pizza in it.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Breadhead; May 20, 2016, 01:59 AM.

Comment

We cooked this on a 22" Weber this past Monday.
      I started 1 chimney of coals and one hot placed them on the charcoal grate dead center.
      I placed a cast iron griddle on the top grate and the pizza stone on top of that
      The grate thermometer never went above 450 but my research reading led to believe that the stone would be much hotter than that.
      Let everything sit for 20 minutes.
      Followed Breadhead directions to transfer the pizza to the stone.
      Closed the lid and about 12 minutes later we had a thoroughly baked crust that was crispy and strong.
      The dough we used was from our local Italian place, their crust is awesome and you can get it fresh large dough for $3. They freeze well too.

Comment

Just to add one thing - if you use parchment and plan on cooking at very high temps, trim the parchment close to the pizza because it can burn.

Comment

Pizza on the new Weber Charcoal Summit was pretty good. I still managed to burn one crust but it was edible. One chimney full of coals beneath the diffuser. Cooked to pies with the stone on the grate. Then cooked 2 more pies with the stone elevated a little. Here are a few picts...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4181.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	259.7 KB
ID:	170423 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4184.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	196.1 KB
ID:	170424 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4192.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	231.5 KB
ID:	170425 Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	175.6 KB
ID:	170426
          Attached Files

Comment

• Harry
            Harry commented
            Editing a comment
            Looks good. My first Summit pizza is scheduled for mid-June. Glad to see your set-up of bricks & stone.

• Breadhead
            Breadhead commented
            Editing a comment
            Your pizza looks good. What temperature did you cook at? I'll bet the burnt bottom was when you had you stone down lower, right?

• Fine Swine
            Fine Swine commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, and that one the temp was pegged at 650°F. The best looking one was the last one was cooked at 550°F there abouts...

This is a very useful grate for cooking bread & pizza. Plus you can use it to add more ribs/pork butts/wings... Etc. Or you can invert it to sear. Depending on the size you get its sells for $40 to &60. It's handy for Kamado cooking. The distance from the fire and a heat deflector is critical.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Breadhead; May 20, 2016, 10:39 PM.

Comment

Pizza is much easier in a home oven. Get a 1/2" thick A36 mild steel plate, preheat it at 550 for an hour and a half or so, and when you go to bake your pie flip the broiler on high and nuke it a couple inches under the broiler. I have mine set to the second from top rung in my oven. Pies bake in 3-4 minutes, perfect char top and bottom. Easy, safe, and no jerry-rigging something that is inherently bad at the task.
            Attached Files

Comment

• Breadhead
              Breadhead commented
              Editing a comment
              tugboat ... If you want to learn a lot about pizza dough go to StellaCulinary.com and click on Pizza. Chef Jacob Burton is my bread making mentor. He knows more about pizza and bread than anyone I've come across online.

• Harry
              Harry commented
              Editing a comment
              THX for the hydration rates. I was clueless; my wife makes her own breads. She said she'd help me. DOUBLE THX.

• tugboat
              tugboat commented
              Editing a comment
              Breadhead I can fake it pretty well! LOL! I bake sourdough only, both bread and pizza. Certainly I'm no expert but I can get by at home with hearth style breads and pizzas.

I got the indoor pizza down pretty good. I have used Jeff Varasano's pizza site for awhile. www.varasanos.com
            My favorite is sourdough pizza which I will make again sometime in June. 550 F the indoor oven can smoke up the house. My ultimate goal would be to come close to a restaurant in Baltimore. joesquared.com

Comment

Breadhead, do you use a scale? I made pizza again with a scale which turned into a wet dough. I can't believe how much better these pizzas were. Now onto my sourdough starter😋. You got any recommendations on that?

Comment

Fine Swine - weighing ingredients is the most accurate way to get consistent results. A cup of flour can weigh anywhere from 4 oz to 5 + oz. A teaspoon of table salt weighs more than a teaspoon of kosher salt. If you have a recipe that gives flour amounts by volume you have to pick a weight for a cup of flour. I start with 4.5 oz per cup. Take notes so that you can adjust next time if the recipe was good enough to use again.
                I actually convert all weights to grams because grams are a little more precise than oz, (16 oz per pound, but in grams there are 454 per pound - I am a bit obsessive about measurements though. )

Comment

Fine Swine ...

Yes... I use a scale. A bread recipe/formula, flour weight to water weight, needs to be exact if you want to replicate bread that you really like.

On your sourdough starter... Just follow the directions in the thread I posted for Steve. It's a simple process that requires very little hands on time. It takes about 2 weeks to develop an active sourdough culture that will levin a loaf of bread. Once it passes the float test it's ready to make bread with.👍
                  Last edited by Breadhead; May 30, 2016, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here