Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First use of the new Weber and SnS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First use of the new Weber and SnS

Howdy, All.

I used my new Weber 22" and SnS for the first time this weekend. As suggested here, I went for the very forgiving Pork Butt (a little over seven pounds). I discovered two very important things

1. It is impossible to maintain a steady temperature with a kettle lid that does not seal well.
    2. BINDER CLIPS ARE YOUR FRIEND!

Seriously. After I got some binder clips to help seal the lid, maintaining a fairly steady temperature was much easier.

The Butt took 13 hours to get to a temp of 195. I got it started by 8 AM, and it came off the grill a little after 9. I used the Memphis Dry Rub, and the finished Butt tasted awesome. I'm wondering what I need to try next.

dandy

dandydon, I think your Butt was in the Stahl a little too Long! Note: I don't Wrap or use a Faux Cambro at this time but others Do! I usually raise the Temp when it Stahls for more than 1 Hr! If I have coals to burn in the S 'n S I either open the bottom vents or turn the DigiQ-2 Temps Up! Or I put it in the Oven on the Kitchen Stove @ 375* F until it reaches 203*!
    Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

• boftx
      boftx commented
      Editing a comment
      I have to disagree with finishing up with a high temp in the oven. My opinion is that the real magic happens when a brisket or butt goes from 170 to 205 as the collagens and connective tissues melt and tenderize the meat. So the longer that takes the better.

Awesome is a, well awesome result! Was your's probe tender at 195? I do my first check around 195 IT, but usually have to take it to the 200-203 range to be probe tender. I recommend ribs next, using the bend test for when they're done. Got any photos of the butt to share?

Comment

• dandydon
      dandydon commented
      Editing a comment
      I tried to wiggle the bone, but it didn't move. When pulling it, the bone came out with no meat attached. It wasn't dry, and it wasn't tough. It pulled apart with ease, and it tasted wonderful. Meant to photo, but I forgot. It was absolutely black on the outside, and that "bark" is delicious!

• fuzzydaddy
      fuzzydaddy commented
      Editing a comment
      You nailed it dandydon! My family with gather around and eat the bark as soon as I have it in the kitchen.

dandydon, +1 on what Dan said. Per Pit Boss's advice I push my temp to around 280 to power through the stall, and then bring her back down to 225-230. That usually works well for me. I use the same setup that you do. I gave up the binder clips, because I was always forgetting they were there. I would try to take off the lid, and fling! There go the clips! I installed a nomex gasket in my lid, and no more leaks!

I just tried a smoked chuck roast last week, and it was awesome! If you like pulled beef, get a chuckie, and smoke that puppy. Chicken is also very good. And if it doesn't turn out great, at least it isn't expensive! Of course, the number one choice is a nice thick steak, reverse seared on that SnS. Don't be afraid, it's very easy, and delicious!

Comment

• martybartram
      martybartram commented
      Editing a comment
      +1 on the nomex gasket. 0 leakage

You can't go wrong - ribs, a chuckie, steak or chicken - any of them will be much better on the grill. I also agree about the nomex gasket. Get a self sticking one, take you time putting it on, and forget the clips. Do make sure to clean the area where the gasket is applied very well and use something like rubbing alcohol or naphtha last to make sure all grease is removed.

Comment

Thunder77 or RonB, do either of you have a picture of your Kettle that shows how/where you applied the Nomex gasket? I can't figure out if on the lid lip or the body lip is better for it.

Comment

Nice work dandydon. The last unwrapped butt I did took 16hrs. Glad you had success with the binder clip trick for maintaining temp control with an out of round lid.

Comment

Thanks for the comments all. I didn't understand how the gasket worked. After watching the video, it looks like that is my next step. As far as what to cook. I'm still up in the air. I'll figure something out.

dandy

Comment

I haven't had the money to buy the SnS yet, but I've been working on perfecting my grilled steaks using the reverse sear on my Weber. I am so happy with the progress I've made thanks to this website. I can't wait until I have the help of the SnS.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here