Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the most over the top BBQ recipe you've ever made?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's the most over the top BBQ recipe you've ever made?

A co-worker of mine was describing a sandwich he got at a local festival here in Rochester last night for dinner. Italian sausage laid out to about 3/4 inch thick (think big rectangle). Then it's topped with ham, bacon and cheese and then rolled into a loaf. Then the outside is completely wrapped in bacon like a lattice topped pie so it's interwoven. It's slow cooked for 6 hours and then basted with a sweet bbq sauce, sliced and served on a hard roll as a sandwich. Sounds like a recipe for a helicopter flight to the E.R. but I have to admit, I would love to try a bite.

Does anyone have any over the top concoctions they make for special occasions or are these creations only found at festivals?

Wow, when is enough enough, to where you just can't taste all the ingredients? I guess I'm not very ambitious in that regard. I tend to go on the simpler side of the traditional. The good news is I can nail the 'traditional' pretty good!

One of my faves is stuffed Buffalo chicken breasts. Butterfly some really thick plump BL/SL chicken breasts and dry brine outside & inside using a little celery salt, add cheddar/jack/mozz to the inside and a dash of Buffalo sauce, and coat the outside with Buffalo sauce a time or 3 while cooking. See I told you, that' as ambitious as I get...but it's REALLY good.

Comment

• CeramicChef
      CeramicChef commented
      Editing a comment
      Huskee - I'm with you … I like simple. Layer after layer after layer of flavors just gets to be too dadgummed much for me. I'm a simple man with simple tastes. More isn't necessarily better.

I can't think of anything that's really over the top or off the wall. The only thing that comes to mind are some Italian Sausages that we make but only once or twice a year because any more than that would probably kill us.

Start out by browning 4 to 6 Italians on the grill, just to the point where they're starting to spit. Then in a small rectangular aluminum pan I layer in pizza sauce, mozzarella cheese, oregano, garlic powder and whatever else seems good at the time. I'll build up a few layers like this and then put the Italians in. Cover them with a few more layers of the same and put it on the grill over medium heat for about 30 minutes or so. While it's cooking I'll cut some hoagie rolls in half and the end result is the gooiest, sloppiest Italian bomber that you've ever had. I spoon a ton of the cheese/pizza sauce mix on it and it's off the charts good. My wife likes a bit less of the mess on hers but she still loves them.

Here's the best part though. When all of the sausages have been eaten you're left with a decent amount of glop in the pan. Save it and put it on an omelette, a burger, anything. After a few beers I've been known to eat it cold with a spoon. Like I said, once or twice a year is fine, any more than that it'll probably shorten your lifespan considerably.

Comment

• Danjohnston949
      Danjohnston949 commented
      Editing a comment
      ribeyeguy, Eric I have had a hand in Spitting a few Canadians, but I never have grilled an Italian? 😙🤔😇🤔😙
      Just Couldn't Help Myself, Eric? Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan

The pastrami I'm about to smoke this weekend.

Allspice in the rub, syrup and soy sauce coating before the rub. You

Comment

I made a short rib sandwich by request from one of my step kids a few years ago but I can't remember what else was on it. Maybe caramelized onions and blue cheese. My kids like to challenge me to sandwiches which I'm pretty sure they get ideas at food truck rodeos in the summer. My wife is a good break baker so she'll make up fancy burger buns or Hawaiian rolls or something like that and I'll prepare the proteins. I'm not into a ton of ingredients and I never jumped on the bacon wagon but I do love the combination of sweet and spicy, sweet and smokey...and I like bacon. I just don't get all the hype these days when it comes to bacon.

I like the sound of both Huskee and Ribeyeguys recipes and I thank you for sharing. I'm going to try both.

Comment

Hmmm... My all time favorite recipe that I make when I want to blow my guests minds & taste buds is Chef John's Mongolian Grilled Pork Chops recipe.

If I use the marinade for pork chops, as the recipe was written, I also make the mustard sauce. If I use the marinade for chicken thighs, most often, I don't bother with the mustard sauce.

I mix this marinade in large quanities and keep it in my fridge most of the time.😆

Try it you will like it.👍
        http://allrecipes.com/recipe/221901/...arch%20results

Watch the video... It's easy to make.
        Last edited by Breadhead; May 11, 2016, 01:45 PM.

Comment

• scottranda
          scottranda commented
          Editing a comment
          Uhhh, yeah!!! Just made these tonight!!! Thanks for the suggestion!!!

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          Cool Scott... How did they taste? Got pictures?

This all sounds great and it's getting the wheels turning. I'll try that Chef John's marinade Breadhead. I love the ingredients.

Jerod, are you using full packers for the pastrami and if so do you separate the point from the flat?

Comment

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          If you try it let me know how you like it, take pictures.

• Don Jr
          Don Jr commented
          Editing a comment
          You bet Breadhead. I think I'll make it on Monday or Tuesday (have off work). I LOVE the ingredient list.

Sounds like someone selling a "Fatty" sandwich. Your basic (or nekkid) Fatty is a chub of pork sausage, rubbed, and smoked to an IT of 165*. In some BBQ cultures, a Fatty is one of if not the first thing to smoke on a new pit. Other variations include a Wrapped Fatty (Bacon, of course):

or a Stuffed Fatty as you describe. I did a Pizza Fatty with Pepperoni, Fire Roasted Tomato Pesto, grilled veggies, and Mozzarella Cheese:

Another time I stuffed it with Jalapeno stuffed with Cream Cheese for a Popper Fatty. The stuffing options are only limited by your creativity.

Not something I make often, but tasty...

Comment

• RichBrew
          RichBrew commented
          Editing a comment
          I just finished a late dinner, but those pictures are making me hungry! How difficult is it to get bacon lattice to look so nice?

• Don Jr
          Don Jr commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm with Rich, would you mind sharing your technique? That looks delicious.

• THoey1963
          THoey1963 commented
          Editing a comment
          Sorry for the late response. I learned how to do the Bacon Weave from Cowgirls Blog:

I've had several requests for pictures of how to make a bacon weave. It's really easy... I like to use thin bacon, it crisps up nicely a...

Wow, looks amazing. This is what I was looking for. The sandwich that you create, call a cardiologist and then make. Yours looks like what they were making at the Lilac Festival (local). Do you mind sharing the bacon technique on the outside?

Comment

I will be posting this soon. Chef Ryan did it for the book but the editor cut it as too outside the box. We smoked some out of the shell oysters, lay them on squares of puffed pastry, put a sliver of lemon soaked in simple syrup on top, and folded it all up into a pouch, hit it with an egg white wash for sheen, and baked. We called them Oysters Wellington. Unreal.
          Attached Files

Comment

• Don Jr
            Don Jr commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh my.......I would love this. A perfect starter with a nice cool Prosecco in the heat of summer (that hopefully shows up soon).

• Breadhead
            Breadhead commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh my...😜👍

Shoot the editor! I'm printing this pic and inserting into the book ...

Comment

This isn't over the top but it was delicious. My local butcher's wife is Korean and makes this marinade for short ribs. The butcher cuts the ribs about a quarter of an inch thick perpendicularly across the bones (see photo). You can cook them like a thin steak and they're delicious. I cut each cooked slice along the side of the bones and use the meat for sandwiches with melted fontina, caramelized onions and horseradish sauce. The strips with the bones we eat with our hands and they're very tasty. You can also just serve these grilled as an appetizer to eat with your hands. This is all local meat and pasture raised, Everything from beef, pork, chicken, duck, lamb......you name it. I'm a huge advocate of using the entire animal and this guys going to be my opportunity to live it out.

Comment

• Don Jr
              Don Jr commented
              Editing a comment
              1 small Asian pear peeled and finely grated (optional), 4 tablespoons minced garlic, 2 tablespoons sesame oil, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper and two thinly sliced scallions (green onions).

• Don Jr
              Don Jr commented
              Editing a comment
              This recipe is called Kalbi I believe so if you Google search Korean Kalbi recipe you'll get a lot of results. It's a nice and different way to enjoy short ribs.

• Breadhead
              Breadhead commented
              Editing a comment
              That's (don) Jr ... I have to give that a try.👍

Smoked a pork shoulder then made tamales out of it.

Comment

One of my favorites would probably not be considered over the top either, but we really love them.
              Smoky Baked Beans.
              I cook up some bacon and use a bit of the fat to render onion, jalapeno pepper and sweet peppers. Then add 4 - 15 oz. cans of showboat pork and beans. I add in 1/3 cup of brown sugar, 3/4 cup of KC Classic BBQ sauce, 4T molasses, 2t dry mustard, 1/4t salt, 1/4t black pepper and 1 bay leaf. Let that simmer about 10 mins. Then I add the bacon, some reserved brisket burnt ends and pulled pork that I save in the freezer. Let that sit overnight in the fridge while the brisket is dry brining. Once the brisket is a couple of hours from done, I put the beans on the lower rack of my WSM with the brisket on the top rack. I do add some wood to the coals during this part of the cook to get that good smoky flavor. Best beans I have ever eaten, hands down. I use the disposable aluminum foil pan for the beans. Used wife's ceramic casserole dish once...spent an hour getting all the smoke off her pretty flowery dish...

Comment

• Don Jr
                Don Jr commented
                Editing a comment
                Storlok, I'm salivating after reading this. I'm a bean freak. I'm going to make this. Thanks for sharing the measurements. A lot of times my wife will heat up last nights bbq beans for breakfast and top them with fried eggs for breakfast. I LOVE IT!!!!!

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here