Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the difference between Smoking Ribs 250 or 275 Degrees?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's the difference between Smoking Ribs 250 or 275 Degrees?

I've been smoking pork ribs at least 3 times a month and I see many recipes that suggest smoking at 250 degrees and a few others suggest smoking at 275. Is there a preference for the best ribs?
    Last edited by No Limit; May 6, 2016, 11:08 AM.

Pork ribs? I do 225! No real reason other than that's how I started doing them, and that's how I get consistent results.

Comment

I know restaurant guys that prefer 275 just to speed things up a tad.

I've done all my meats from 225-350, whatever is needed. I like to go slow and just chill when I can.

Gotta watch closer the higher you go, especially with something as thin as ribs.

Comment

Time more than anything else.

Comment

+1^ and not a thing else.

Cooking at 275 is called a "Turbo Cook" and is done at a lot of competition cooks where you can be under time pressures. To really power through a lot of folks will also wrap their ribs, brisket, or butts.

As for me, smoking is more about the relaxing journey to meat heaven rather than the end. I cook all my low-n-slow stuff at 225.

Comment

​No Limit I cook my ribs at 275 F. The "Turbo Cook" is a great way to develop crust on the ribs as well. Sauces caramelize nicely at this temp. I like doing most things at 225 F. But ribs.....they go on at 275 F.
            Last edited by Spinaker; May 6, 2016, 12:59 PM.

Comment

Thanks for ya'll feedback. I really appreciate it.

Comment

I'm with Jerod on this one. If I'm pressed for time, 350 works well. If I'm puttering around, then 225-250 also works. No wrong answer really, from a culinary standpoint, at least. I just ask myself when I want to serve, and plan accordingly. They always turn out fine.

Comment

Since there have been some very good answers, I will go down a different tangent. If my wife requests both ribs and chicken, like she has for this weekend, I will try to run around 275 to accommodate both. Chicken doesn't do as well at 225 and 325+ is way too hot for ribs, IMHO. So I split the difference and try to run at 275. Normally for ribs I will run between 225 & 250.

Comment

225-250 are very forgiving temperatures to cook at and probably a good place to start. But I think it's a mistake to chase temperatures. Every pit is different. My Pitmaker is not happy running under 250 unless I use water. It really purrs at 275 when cooking dry. Gotta know your pit instead of trying to dial in a specific temperature.

Comment

No Limits if your running 3 a month maybe run one at each with a rack or half? I mean at this point you got the skillz to know where you need to get to.

I tend to be a 220. 221 whatever it takes guy. : )
                      Last edited by Jon Solberg; May 6, 2016, 03:03 PM.

Comment

I prefer to keep mine in the 230's, 225ish if possible. OK if in 240's, but I don't want a long cook at 250 or above. See below...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ribs_All.jpg
Views:	4927
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	164475

Comment

• Medusa
                          Medusa commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Hi @Zappe'sBBQ,

I follow MH's recipe. Dry Brine for a few hours, Rub of your choice a few hours. After successful bend test, paint both sides with favorite sauce and then over direct heat for just a few minutes to caramelize them. Brown Sugar in rub is key! --Ed

• Medusa
                          Medusa commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Bend Test. Look at the bigger slab ( the 1 in front ). You can see where it "cracked" about dead center. Crosswise following the bone.
                          Last edited by Medusa; May 11, 2016, 03:21 PM.

• Medusa
                          Medusa commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I prefer to do SLC's when I can get them, otherwise Pork Loin Back Ribs, which these are.

Those are beauteous baby backs! I think higher temps work a bit better to render fats out of spare ribs, but I've eaten good ribs that are cooked in the entire range. Best spare rib I ever ate was in March at HPBexpo when I got one hung in a drum at 300 degrees, cooked for 2 hours. Absolutely incredible!

Comment

• Danjohnston949
                          Danjohnston949 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          CandySueQ, Is that what they call Eating Your Own Mistakes?
                          Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan

• Medusa
                          Medusa commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Thanks CandySueQ ! I learned to cook from y'all on this site! BTW, can't wait to get your recommended Onion Holder ( for pricking wings ) -- Ed

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here