Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice Needed - Cleaning Old Knives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice Needed - Cleaning Old Knives

I was recently given the (what I consider) older knives from my church when they were cleaning stuff out. (Perks of being known as one of the BBQ guys in the church)....

Anyway it is hard to tell to what extent from the pics but they are a little tarnished, spotted, etc... I have never really cleaned up old knives before but was wondering if anyone knew of a good way to get these things looking good again and still be functional.

I also come across some older knives when my dad has auctions and can pick up some antiques for a good price. Always wanted to but never really have since I didn't really know what to do with them.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Might try some buffing compound and a dremel with a wool or felt wheel. I use baking powder on old yellowed headlight covers and it works well. This guy uses it to restore old knives like yours https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBD0ajju-2o

Comment

• Nate
      Nate commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Marty... Greatly appreciated!

I'm not sure I would do anything to the knives unless I felt it was a health hazard. The patina adds to the character of the knives for me.

Comment

• Danjohnston949
      Danjohnston949 commented
      Editing a comment
      RonB, Ron I think I am in your camp unless there is rust present! I have been told that Lye is a good rust
      remover but haven't tried it myself! From Fargo ND, Dan

There are a lot of knife restoring videos on YouTube, I watched a couple before working on some of mine. You can do it with a couple whetstones, one medium and one fine, and lots of time. For the masters in the videos, each knife takes about half an hour; for an amateur, I would imagine it takes longer for the first one and then each will get easier.

Overall it isn't too hard. The videos will show you what direction to work, and common sense will take care of the rest.

And, I'd ditch the one with the painted handle. It looks like it duplicates a couple other knives in the set, and the paint is chipping and will get in the food. From looking at the picture it doesn't look like it's all that good of a knife.
    Last edited by Mosca; May 2, 2016, 07:38 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here